News:

Author Topic: Xilo?  (Read 3805 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Xilo?
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:25:50 AM »

Anyone know if they are any good?

Looks like I'd pay £11 fee to join though :-(

Ideally I wanted ADSL24 but they charge £47 to join now!

I'm with O2 Access and something MUST change now as my speed is getting slower by the day, and they won't help me unless I use their wireless box, which sucks big time in terms of getting all my wireless devices onto it at the same time.

Any advise? Thanks

jaydog

• Reg Member
Desperate Help :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

I am with O2 Access which is dreadful. My sync speeds have gone from around 4400, to now 3200 in a matter of a few days. I constantly get disconnected which is frustrating, and very slow speeds, and constant buffering on streaming videos. The slow speeds have been going on all year, and I am now on my 2nd lot of free 3 months as a goodwill thing.

My 3.5mb connection has dropped to below a 2mb connection now at all times of the day :-(

O2 will only help me if I use their router, which I've tried, but not able to get both laptops on with it, one always seems to disconnect, and the router itself is big and clunky. I normally use my trusty Netgear DG834G. So I give up with their tech support team. I can't use their router, and I want to use my own.

SO, I pay O2 a total of £12.50 a mth on a friends/family package. I can't get cable, or LLU. So I am limited.

The most I'm willing to pay is around the £18 a mth mark, and I need a minimum of 30GB peak downlaods, and unlimited off peak, or just a 40GB total limit. Not really fussed. I have my own router, so that's not a problem as I kinda prefer to use the Netgear I am used to.

I have seen ADSL24 who I used to be with but they now charge a £47 fee, and then there's Xilo who charge £11.

It does seem like the 2 companys above are a bit expensive, however maybe their the best ones in terms of quality. I just emailed xilo and got an immediate response and have been emailing them back and fourth with questions and getting replies, bearing in mind it's 2am! But still, not sure if there's a cheaper, just as good alternative out there?

Is joining Xilo, likely to sort out the low sync problems I am having with O2 Access??

I just don't know what to do to be honest. As I can't get LLU, I am very limited, but I want a company who won't limit me speedwise, and who's reliable.

O2 Access are terrible. Any ideas? Should I stick with O2?? Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:12:41 AM by jaydog »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Xilo?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:13:05 AM »

Hello, jaydog.

I have merged your two posts as they are really covering the  the same problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:16:42 AM »

@jaydog:

Changing ISP isn't going to make any difference to the quality of your connection. That's between you and the exchange, and your problems may be the result of a line fault, an internal wiring fault, or electrical interference. But that being said, you could certainly get better service from a number of other ISPs.

I suggest that your best option is to diagnose the problem first, and maybe think about changing ISP as a separate consideration. As a start, can you post your router stats here to give us a point of reference. And then I suggest that you install Routerstats to monitor your connection over time. This will give us a better indication of what's really happening.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »

How am I supposed to know if it's my connection, or my router?!

O2 won't help me unless I use their router, so I'm a bit stuck.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:02:08 AM »

Have a look here,not the cheapest,but top class support.

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

We'll fix your line even if you are with another ISP!

If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month.

Edit......just seen you don't want to pay more than £18.  :-[

I suppose its like all things in life..........you get what you pay for.  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:18:55 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »

In the meantime, please consider the suggestions I made above, then we can give some more help.
  Eric