Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm Back!  (Read 4822 times)

Ratae

I'm Back!
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »

Cooooeee! .......... I think it's about 18 months since I last logged in here for advice about Linux (Ubuntu). I eventually ran out of patience with my inability to get to grips with it!  :(

However, a couple of months ago I began to have a re-think about it. I eventually decided that probably I'd  not given Linux a fair go!

So... I've now installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a partition on my netbook! Amazingly everything I've tried has worked. My FF bookmarks are loaded and the FF UI looks exactly the same as my Windows one. Flash has been installed and the firewall is working. I've got the desktop 'sorted' and amazingly, the thing that frustrated me so much previously... that was not being able to get the bbc iplayer to work ..... well it's working absolutely fine!  :)

I've installed the VLC media player and that's also looking good. I still have absolutely no idea what that 'sudo' stuff is about, but so far I'm well chuffed!

The bad news is, I'll probably be hanging around here and pestering you!

If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I'm Back!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »

We're delighted to see you back. :)

(sudo is just Ubuntu's way of turning you temporarily into an administrator, so that you can do things which you can't do as an ordinary user.)
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

Thanks very much Eric!

I'm still tinkering with the interface, and happily I can report that so far, I'm increasingly impressed with things. The improvements made from v 8.04 to this release are outstanding!  :thumbs:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »

Hello and welcome back .

Glad you are getting to grips with it, you sound like me when I first tried Linux,  I dabbled give up dabbled again then read Eric's tutorials and tried PCLinuxOS and never looked back .
I use Linux 99% now.

One tip set up a User account/s, have your one for normal use and set up another one, (say call it Test1 )and use that to test your different settings and ways to do things and if things go wrong you can delete that account and make another Test2.
So doing that if things go wrong you do not have to re-install.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ratae

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »

Thanks Mike, and thanks for the tip.

This time I'm determined to persevere. It isn't that I'm disillusioned with 'Windows' or anything, it's just that I rather like the idea of a usable alternative!

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »

Thanks Mike, and thanks for the tip.

This time I'm determined to persevere.

That's the spirit  8).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ratae

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »

BTW guys, something I noticed just a few days ago!

I was lurking in the local Apple store, and I was having a fiddle about with a very nice (and expensive) Macbook pro machine. I got this Macbook's  'Desktop' up, and was immediately struck by its likeness to the 'Gnome' desktop of Ubuntu!  :o

Is there any tie up between Linux/Ubuntu and the Apple people, because the layout of those two destops is virtually identical?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »

No, I think it's the other way round - Gnome tends to emulate Apple's style.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

The word Unix springs to mind here ?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »

Yes, Mac OSX is derived from one of the BSD Unixes, but with a lot of Mac look and feel added.
  Eric

anything