Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: disconnected ring wire:no telephone lines,expcept for master.  (Read 4020 times)

londonladliam

• Just arrived
disconnected ring wire:no telephone lines,expcept for master.
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

heya all,

be honest total noob!be kind  :-[ and sorry in advance if this is the wrong section or be covered before.

basically a gent i work with has done lots of networking genuinley knows his stuff,we got chatting and he told me about the ring wire thing.so did my own bit of home work,found the master worked out the "correct wire" (wire 3) and took the plunge and diconnected it.the reason for doing this was i wanted to move the router from its exisiting location,so that i could hard wire a desktop and PS3 and laslty get a quicker stable connection.

the dilema i have now is... we have phones in most rooms all running off of filters;all the other phone sockets now have nothing at all,i picked up a phone if 3 different rooms and no dialing tone EXCEPT for the master (which is located in the living room)could this be due to disconnecting the ring wire or the age of the phones?

any help relly appreciated

liam

below is pic of master socket:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:18:53 PM by londonladliam »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: disconnected ring wire:no telephone lines,expcept for master.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »

I can only think that, in disconnecting the ring wire on pin 3, you accidentally disconnected one of the wires on pins 2 or 5. The other possibility is that the extension sockets are incorrectly wired. You need to have pins 2 and 5 in the master socket faceplate connected to the same pins in the extension sockets.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: disconnected ring wire:no telephone lines,expcept for master.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »

Was the pic taken before you disconnected the ring wire or have you reconnected it?

anything