Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ring wire  (Read 1583 times)

londonladliam

• Just arrived
ring wire
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

heya all,

be honest total noob!be kind  and sorry in advance if this is the wrong section or be covered before.

basically a gent i work with has done lots of networking genuinley knows his stuff,we got chatting and he told me about the ring wire thing.so did my own bit of home work,found the master worked out the "correct wire" (wire 3) and took the plunge and diconnected it.the reason for doing this was i wanted to move the router from its exisiting location,so that i could hard wire a desktop and PS3 and laslty get a quicker stable connection.

the dilema i have now is... we have phones in most rooms all running off of filters;all the other phone sockets now have nothing at all,i picked up a phone if 3 different rooms and no dialing tone EXCEPT for the master (which is located in the living room)could this be due to disconnecting the ring wire or the age of the phones?

any help relly appreciated

liam

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ring wire
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally disconnect one of the other wires on pins 2 or 5 when you disconnected the ring wire on pin 3? Just to be clear, you need to have one wire pair (normally the blue/white and white/blue pair) connected from pins 2 and 5 in the master socket faceplate to the same pins in the extension sockets. Disconnecting the ring wire can't explain the absence of a dialling tone, so this is the only explanation I can think of (unless the extension sockets are incorrectly wired).

[Edit] I've just seen that you have posted the same message in another forum section. Please don't double-post. I'll try to answer in the other thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:53:58 PM by roseway »
  Eric