Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eric's bought a new toy  (Read 5595 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Eric's bought a new toy
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »

I've bought myself a laptop; nothing fancy, in fact just about the cheapest one I've ever seen. It's an Acer 3694 which is on sale at Comet for £299. But it's got a perfectly usable spec - 1.86 GHz celery processor, 80 GB hard drive, and all the expected features.

Now I don't actually need a laptop, it's just a toy I couldn't resist, and there's certainly some attraction in sitting comfortably on the settee doing stuff. It came with Vista Home Basic, which runs so slowly it's like wading through treacle. I'll probably end up wiping the disk and using the whole machine for Linux, but in the first instance the disk is conveniently partitioned into two equal parts so I've used what would have been the Windows D drive for Linux.

I have to say that for the amount of money I spent I'm pretty pleased with this machine. 8)
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Eric's bought a new toy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »

hi eric

the acer lappy's are quite good but lack memory on some of the vista machines.

it should have an e-recovery system on the desktop and the progs menu, when you find it create the recovery disk set asap.  it sometimes gets corrupt then you cant recover the machine or make the recovery disks then acer will charge you $50 to rebuild the image or supply the disk set.

nice buy !

paul
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »

Ive seen those advertisd and indeed they do seem to be a pretty damn good buy. :)
I can well understand why you couldnt resist.   8)

Ive had a celeron processor on one of my old lappies and nowt much wrong with them.  The only reason why I specifically went for a Pentium last time was cause (with acer anyhow) the battery time was much longer.

I agree with paul though that I'd be tempted to purchase some more RAM.  Depending what you put on it but 512MB (inc what is used by the onboard graphics) may be pushing it.  RAMs pretty cheapish right now so upgrading shouldnt cost too much.   A RAM upgrade is something that Ive done on all my lappies.

I cant really say much about Vista - not really used it although I really do need time to play with my new toy which has vista before I pass judgement.. Ive put 2GB of RAM in because of what it will be used for.  More on that when I get time ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:08:36 AM »

>>> it should have an e-recovery system on the desktop and the progs menu, when you find it create the recovery disk set asap.

Yes thanks, I've done that, although I'll shortly be wiping the hard disk completely and using the whole machine for Linux.

Good advice about getting extra RAM. Linux runs well enough in the 512 MB which is included, but double that (or more) would certainly be better still.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »

>>> I cant really say much about Vista - not really used it although I really do need time to play with my new toy which has vista before I pass judgement.. Ive put 2GB of RAM in because of what it will be used for.  More on that when I get time

You're teasing us, aren't you :lol:
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »

One thing you can be certain of, Eric; hers will be bigger than yours. ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »

I couldn't possibly comment. :blush:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »

Split this topic off and duplicated to another thread so as not to distract from Erics new toy.

>> You're teasing us, aren't you

Sorry - not really my intention.. just been so busy this past week.  System is kinda built although I need to do a few more things but basically Ive built a media center on a budget.  Yeah Ive gone slightly over that (as you do).
Ive took some piccies during the build but havent even got around to taking them off the camera yet  :-[

Nothing exciting just stuff around the house that needed doing.  I'd also been trying to code the exchange checker thingy but that was kinda abandoned too a few days ago.

I'm off over to Manchester this afty and wont be back till very late.. been very worried over my neice who has been very very poorly. Shes had meningitus.  Touch wood she is over the worst - yesterday she was alert but we're stilll awaiting the results of some tests and she's still one very sick lil baba.

Got some stuff I need to do this am - but if I do get a couple of mins (not promising) I'll try pull the piccies off the camera and post.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:47:24 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker