Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Postage gripe...  (Read 4542 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Postage gripe...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »

And the posties themselves earn extra for doing the leaflets - about 2p for each one.  When I worked for RM (a few years ago now) I could boost my weekly earnings by about £20 from the leaflets alone.  Of course the rounds in the posher areas which got the highest volume of targeted marketing were highly sought after.

Now that's worth knowing.  One of the few good things about modern life for me is our current Postie.  He's been doing the village round for many years, always gets through no matter the weather, uses common sense whether to find a hiding place for stuff that won't fit through the letter box if we're out...  he even gets a Christmas tip, which no other Postie has ever got from me.  I'll not be opting out again after all, or denying him his 2p a leaflet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:24:40 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »

I have taken on board all that's been said and the relevant info, however, being a fairly extensive user of RM I have often seen a different side of their "service".  I send things through the post as do my fellow crafters, that are well protected and sealed and very often they are damaged, slit open or lost and it's a long process to get things put right especially when it comes to handmade things which can never be replaced.  Myself and other people like me trust RM to get their service right and often they don't.  A few years back when I sent six (not only craft items but cassette tapes recorded as letters) they were lost and it was actually down to the postman.  He left his loaded bike unattended for sometime and everything in it was stolen AND I still see this practise going on! 

As regarding putting up the postage, it's not just the initial up to 100g 1st and 2nd class stamps that go up.  The increments in weight are always put up too and often by amounts of 4 - 6 - 8 and more pence on weights above 100grms.  This to me is daylight robbery, sorry if you don't agree but where on earth is it all going to end?  They are actually killing off business from the ordinary customer because people don't trust mail to reach its destination half the time and when it does, it could be damaged.  The service that used to be there isn't.  Did anyone see the undercover filming of one of the sorting offices in a documentary a couple of months ago?  I and many others I know were appalled at just what goes on, how mail is lost, left because they can't be bothered to go and deliver for whatever reason and how they are taking on people without fully checking their credentials like they used to!

Whoever is at "fault" for the poor service myself and many others receive should be ashamed of themselves but as we have no alternative we just have to pay up and shut up.  I don't think any of us would complain about paying for a first class and well maintained service but when it comes down to it, that's the last thing RM seem to deliver in my opinion.

:no:
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

Our post turns up at any hour of the day.  >:(

Same here.  The average time for my post arriving is around 1pm - a stark contrast to not many years ago when it used to arrive well before 8am.  If I lived in the back of beyond I could understand it, but I'm within 3 miles of the delivery office.  In my time on the post we had to be out of the depot at 6.40 to start delivery by 7am and be finished by 9.30.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:08:32 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »

You can opt out of junk mail delivered by the Postie, but RM deliberately make it very difficult to find out how to do so, and will generally refuse to understand the question if you ask to have it done.  I seem to remember a Postie recently got in hot water for telling people how to do it.
I've registered to both the Mail Preference Service and Telephone Preference Service but I still get junk mail, and yet according to an e-mail I had off Royal Mail at the time, I will no longer receive mail that isn't specifically addressed to me  >:(

The Telephone Preference Service works well though as I hardly ever get marketing calls/sales calls anymore !
Mike

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:03 AM »

You can opt out of junk mail delivered by the Postie, but RM deliberately make it very difficult to find out how to do so, and will generally refuse to understand the question if you ask to have it done.  I seem to remember a Postie recently got in hot water for telling people how to do it.
I've registered to both the Mail Preference Service and Telephone Preference Service but I still get junk mail, and yet according to an e-mail I had off Royal Mail at the time, I will no longer receive mail that isn't specifically addressed to me  >:(

The Telephone Preference Service works well though as I hardly ever get marketing calls/sales calls anymore !

The Royal mail opt-out is quite different to the Mail Preference Service & TPS.   See here:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081

Do not be put off by the dark threats about cessation of "offers or leaflets from Central and Local Government and other public bodies".  If delivery was in the slightest bit important, they'd put your name & address on the envelope, and it would get delivered.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »

>> If delivery was in the slightest bit important, they'd put your name & address on the envelope, and it would get delivered.

In many cases the junk mail has my name and address on it. Just the other day I received an envelope with my name and address on it and the Post Office logo all over it. On opening it the letter inside also contained the Post Office logo and was offering me special insurance to start cover from my birthday. How the hell did the Post Office know when my actual birthday was, it was printed there for all to see. On closer inspection it was actually promoting a company called Aviva, you've probably heard of them. I did have car insurance with them a number of years ago. That's where they got the information.

Sorry if I have gone off topic.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 07:20:25 AM »

The Royal mail opt-out is quite different to the Mail Preference Service & TPS.   See here:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081

Do not be put off by the dark threats about cessation of "offers or leaflets from Central and Local Government and other public bodies".  If delivery was in the slightest bit important, they'd put your name & address on the envelope, and it would get delivered.

Thanks I'll try that  ;)
Mike
Pages: 1 [2]