Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL, ISP and content provider  (Read 3198 times)

facsi

ADSL, ISP and content provider
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

Hi,

I would like to know from you guys that live in UK, how does the ISP works there. I'll try to explain what I mean:

Here in my country, to have an adsl connection you should, along subscribing the telephone company (for me they are the ISP) for the ADSL connection, subscribe to another service, which they call themselves "Provedor de internet" or in english "Internet provider". In fact, recently they have changed to "Provedor de conteúdo" or "Content provider", which provides the users news, email, and such. We are trying, along Justice ministry to change that policy that "we need to subscribe to an additional content provider", because in fact we really dont need them. Here that characterizes "venda casada" or something like "twice sale" (where you cant sell a service and force the customer to buy, along that service, another one) and its forbidden by law. The telephone company insists that the connection is made by the content provider whereas almost everybody knows that its not. They even changed the way we connect to the internet just to try to convince people they are right. But it seems to be in vain. Now they are saying that the Content provider is to provider the user the DNS servers to resolve the addresses. Bahhhhhhhh f*** o**. Other telephone company or ISP provides ADSL without the need of subscribing a content provider. But this one just insists that it is needed for conection.

Did you get how bad it is? the process is running for almost 3 years but we have hope :p

So, the question is: in UK, or USA (if you know how it works there), along subscribing to adsl service, do you still need to subscribe to a content provider? or that bs only happens here? lol

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: ADSL, ISP and content provider
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »

To be able to get ADSL in the UK you have to have a phone land line which is connected.(You pay a rental for this)

You  then choose an ISP,the ISP can be the same company who supplies your landline,or a separate company.The choice depends on what's available at your local telephone exchange.

facsi

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »

But does the ISPs there uses line sharing?

Here I have to pay the to the telephone company:
1- the phone bill
2- the adsl service

and to the content provider
3- adsl connection

but we dont have line sharing here.
If I want to use that another telephone company adsl service i told (that do not use "content provider") together with my actual telephone company just for phone, I cannot.
Any problem I have with my adsl connection, when I dial the content provider they say that i should call the adsl service provider which is the telephone company. Content provider here does nothing except get money from our pockets.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:47:01 PM by facsi »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »

We pay the rental for the line and the cost of the telephone service to one company, and the cost of the ADSL connection and service to another company. Those two can be the same company, or they can be different companies.
  Eric

facsi

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »

this means we are paying doubles here. This content provider is not needed in our case.

Imo is an absurd for you to pay the "rent" for the line. We somehow pay this here too but this concept is disappearing with market competition.
The price could be the same, but they dont tell you that you are paying "this" as subscription.

anything