Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RJ45 to BT431A Adapter + Wiring  (Read 8578 times)

mhamzahkhan

• Just arrived
RJ45 to BT431A Adapter + Wiring
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »

Hey everyone, :)

I have recently put up RJ45 wall sockets in most of the rooms of my house, which are terminated at my 24 port patch panel.
During the wiring stages, I planned on having everything so I could use the same cat5 cable runs for the telephone as well.

Right now, I am running a cable from my BT NTE Master Socket's face plate to an 8 port patch panel in my rack which will be used purely for telephone.

My plan is to have it so I can just stick in a small patch cable from the 8 port patch panel, to the 24 port panel for wall sockets I would like to use as a telephone socket.
For this purpose, I bought a few RJ45 to BT431A Adapters (secondary ones, not master) so I could connect my normal phones to the wall socket.

I have wired up the 8 port patch panel as specified on the back of the panel (ie orange wire to the orange pin, orange-white wire to orange-white pin, etc etc), although I used a single cat5 cable, extended across all 8 ports.

Having done so, my problem now is that I'm confused how to wire the face plate at my master socket.
Which colour wires will I need to wire into the faceplate?

From what I know, only pin 2 and 5 of the face plate are needed, but from popping open one of the RJ45 to BT431A adapters, it seems pin 2 and pin 5 means I will have to use the Green and Blue wires.... but this would defeat one of the main advantages of using cat5! Cancelling out EMI!

Does this mean I have to re-wire the 8 port patch panel again using my own wiring scheme rather than the one on the back of the patch panel, or is there another way to do this so I am able to use a single set of twisted pair wires?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: RJ45 to BT431A Adapter + Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

Hi mhamzahkhan and welcome,

You may find these links useful if you wish to follow one of the two UK "standards".

http://www.evonet.com/evonet/index.asp?Page=102&Format=Print

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Kind regards,
Walter

anything