Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unstable downstream connection problems  (Read 2002 times)

Alidom

• Just arrived
Unstable downstream connection problems
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Hello all,

Up until six moths ago I had a nice stable ADSL line syncing @8128 kbps, with a IP profile set @ 7150kbps for six years, SNR sitting nicely around 6dB. Something went horribly wrong as the SNR over time rose up to 31dB and seriously affected the PSTN service. BT technicians have been out several times and have managed as far as I am concerned have worked around the problem but not fixed it. After a reboot the stats are generaly;
Connection Speed    8128 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    16 db    4 db
Noise Margin    12 db    27 db

then

after a day or two stats look like this;
Connection Speed 3904 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 19 db 5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

There are few things I don't quite understand where your thoughts would be appreciated. Considering I am with 1km from the exchange;
1. An SNR 12db seems a bit high.
2. An increase of 3dB in noise (line attenuation) drops the connection speed by over 50%
3. Why would the noise (line attenuation) increase over time?

What do you think?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Unstable downstream connection problems
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

Hi Alidom & welcome,

It appears as if you still have a line fault which might be a high resistance fault.

One way to monitor the situation is to install Routerststs or Routerstats lite if your modem is supported.

You could also try the 17070 option 2 quiet line test and option 1 ring back test. With the latter observe whether the modem re-syncs when a call is received.

Kind regards,
Walter

Alidom

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »

Hi Walter,

Many thanks for the thoughts. I tried the quiet line test. There is certainly noise present with the phone connected in the test port of the NTE.  There is an aggressor on the line, the problem is how to trace the source.

Alidom

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »

Hi again Alidom,

Whilst it's perfectly possible to have REIN problems as well as line problems, the fact that your attenuation doesn't remain constant, EDIT especially on such a short line, might suggest there is a physical problem that is generating some noise.

I suggest this is first tackled as a phone line fault, not mentioning the broadband at all.

Assuming you're not using an unbundled line, you could try

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

to test the line.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:28:18 PM by waltergmw »

Alidom

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »

I agree with you when you say I have REIN issues. The question is where is the source of this. I will take up your advice and re-lodge a phone fault.

Cheers Walter.

Alidom