Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rain  (Read 1666 times)

chapellane69

Rain
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »

In the past I had a modem/router which had been connecting about 3Mbps when I thought I ought to be getting more out of my line.  I replaced the device with another modem and router and at the same time changed some of the wiring inside the house.  Since then my synch speed has been gradually increasing and the line profile going up with it.  Quite recently I was connecting at 6.5Mbps and had a line profile of 5000kbps, and I still thought there was more to come.  (SNR margin at the time as 6~9dB, depending on the time of day).

Then it rained.

On the same day it rained, I came home from work to find that the synch speed had dropped to 4.5Mbps and the SNR margin was the same (about 6dB).  Prior to this I had noticed the same thing happen (i.e. the speed dropped at the start of a period of rain), but as at that point it was only a one-off occurence, I didn't think about it much.  It seems there needs to be some period of dry weather after the rain before the speed starts to increase again.  (At least that's what I remember from last time, and it seems to be holding true again now).  The speed or SNR margin doesn't go back up as soon as the rain stops.

Now it's a two-off event, is it still just a coincidence?  Or is there likely to be something getting wet during rain that is making the line noisier?

Neil

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »

That's normally a symptom of water getting into a cable joint somewhere, i.e. it's a line fault. Proving it may be difficult because of the intermittent nature of the problem. The best option would be to install Routerstats or Routerstats-Lite if it's compatible with your router. This would enable you to gather some information on the state of the connection over time. Then you may be able to see a correspondence between the time it rains hard and the onset of some instability in the connection.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »

Hi Neil,

It would be worth recording and posting your modem stats at the different times.
If you are feeling semi-energetic and can put on your walking boots you might look for obvious horrors such as this one.
Very sadly these obvious bodge jobs are often not rectified by BT Openreach so the network reliability suffers, consumers get frustrated having to do battle with the BT fault reporting mechanism, and it must actually cost BT Openreach more in the long run.
However I doubt if the bean-counters have actually woken up to the results of their productivity drives.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

I recently had a rain-induced line fault - water getting into first bt junction box from my house. Get onto your ISP and pester them until it's sorted :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

anything