Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Update failed?  (Read 4995 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Windows Update failed?
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »

Hi all

I received a Windows Auto update yesterday to install Windows Live Essentials 2011

I did the install,and was offered the choice of either installing everything or just the bits I had already got installed(I chose the later).
It the went on to install ok,but the auto update installer stopped at 50% complete and didn't move beyond that(I waited 1 hour).I then stopped the install and re started.It then said the update had failed,but Live essentials 2011 has installed ok(see screen captures below)

It seems that other users have encountered this problem as well.It could be that as you choose only to install the bits you already have on your pc then that is why the update sticks at 50%.
All the bits installed work ok so I am going to leave be.

I am guessing that the failed update cannot be removed.?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Windows Update failed?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

Update KB2434419 does seem to be causing problems.. :(

>>I am guessing that the failed update cannot be removed << ..........go through control panel>add or remove programs, expand that by clicking on the "show updates" box.
Is that KB number listed there.......if so can you use that to uninstall. ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »

Hi TD :)

The only place I can see the update is in Windows update.When right clicking it on it only gives you the options >view details< or >copy details<

I could un install live essentials  from add/remove programmes,but its installed ok so I don't see the point.In any case I don't think un installing it would removed the KB2434419 from windows updates.....would it?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »

Is it in add remove programs?

Make sure you seleted show windows updates radio button.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:50:48 AM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »

Is it in add remove programs?

Make sure you seleted show windows updates radio button.

Not sure what you mean........I am using Vista.

When I look at the windows updates that are available to un install that update isn't there.

Edit,

When you look at the updates that are available to un install, and then the list of updates that have been installed,not all the installed updates are available to un install,so I am guessing that certain updates cannot be removed?

This is the installed update list

And this is whats available to un install

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:05:07 AM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:21:21 PM »

This was a reply I got from a member (Steel) over @ the C/A forums.I think he explained it well enough,so I shall just leave it be.  :)

If UncleUB's situation is the same as mine, he means that Live Essentials 2011 has been installed and is working as expected.
However, it is still showing as a 'Failed' update in Windows Update with no way to remove that entry.

For me, no big deal. It says it has failed but in reality it hasn’t. I can live with that. It’s only aesthetic.

I’m not aware of a way to remove single ‘failed’ entries, but if it is a concern to a user, I would advise them to fully remove Essentials 2011 via Add/Remove or Programs & Features and then reinstall the items required from the WLE Set Up pack.
This won’t remove the ‘Failed’ history entry as it is history; however, the new downloaded version of Essentials isn’t an update any more as such and if the installed components work correctly, the history can be forgotten about.