Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router which works even on Low SNR  (Read 6448 times)

yousaf465

Router which works even on Low SNR
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:33:03 AM »

Here is the list of router which work even on Low SNR.

D-Link DSL-G604T

Speedtouch 585
Speedtouch 576

Netgear DG834
Netgear DG834G

Westell 6100

This has been taken from http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Any other suggestions will be may be added.

Does DG834GT also remains stable on low snr ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Router which works even on Low SNR
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:28 AM »

That list was written some time ago, and probably needs updating. In the case of the two Netgear routers, it referred to the v2/v3 versions using the AR7 chipset. The V4 version has a Broadcom chipset (same as DG834GT) which is a very good chipset, but not quite so capable at holding on to a connection at very low noise margins. Probably the best router for holding a connection on a difficult line is the BT Business Hub 2700HGV, but to use it with other ISPs requires a bit of fiddling around, although it's not difficult.

But I think you're asking the wrong question really. Looking at your other thread, you have a big problem with a wildly fluctuating noise margin, and unless your present router is faulty I doubt if changing the router will deal with the problem. See my comment on that thread.
  Eric

yousaf465

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »

Would you please update that lsit, also do mention them in order of performing of low SNR lines.

yousaf465

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »

My Aztech 605EU is behaving really strangely. This time all the lights (including Ethernet, USB and DSL ) went  blank, except he power and Internet light. :( I reinserted the USB and Ethernet but to now avail. Restarted the modem and it working again.

Now I'm looking for new modem, anything which can hold onto the connection with low SNR, has got WIfi (N will be preferable) and USB NAS will be an added advantage.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »

I have a D-Link DSL-2740B which has been up for 35+ days on an 8meg connection with a 41db attenuation and SNRM at 2.6db so yes at least this one stays up on very low values.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

yousaf465

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »

Well I guy is selling a second hand "D-Link DKT-710 Wireless G ADSL2+ Router Kit (Includes Router DSL-2640B & USB dongle DWA-111)" for 23 pound, is it reasonable ?

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »

Personally I like the 2640B, better on my line than 2740B or DG834GT. It really depends on trial and error to find a router which suits your line (as I've found). I'd pay 23 for a 2640B, but I know it'd be good on my line.
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

yousaf465

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »

any updates, I'm thinking of replacing my current modem with something new.

ncudmore

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

Well, if you want to look at a Cisco 877 on ebay then second-hand they can be had for under 100GBP, and it work's for me.

I have a 877 connected to BE with a Noise Margin of 0.5 dB DownSteam, Attenuation 40.5 dB, Output Power 19.0 dBm which currently gives me a line sync at 12222 kbps, with no issues. 

On a good day I might hit a Noise Margin of 3.0 dB both up and down, but this rare.

Upsteam a bit better with 3.0 dB and but sync at 1308 kbps (Annex A connection).

Testing this on www.speedtest.net shows - 15ms ping, 10.32Mbps down and 1.07Mbps Up, which I think is pretty darn good given the lines we have in our village.

Can't say you'll get 'N' WiFi or USB connections out of a 877 but with 4.0.018 DSL firmware and IOS 15.0(1)XA; it's proved to be rock solid.

However, the same router was in use when I had BT Business as my ISP, and best I ever got then was a 6Mbps connection.