Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL2+ with DG834G_V4_V5.01.16_DGTeam_1018 & BT Speedtester  (Read 2475 times)

Rogs

• Just arrived

Hi All,
I am on BT broadband option 2 and have recently persuaded BT to upgrade my service to ADSL2+ as 21cn was recently enabled in my area. My Netgear DG834gv4 router syncs at around 22300 on a short line (Down attenuation. 15db).
On a BTw speedtest the DGTeam firmware (any version 23b 23o or 26) gives a much lower download throughput result than Netgear's official firmware! The difference I have noticed is around 4-5mb ie. ip profile is 19000 and with Netgear's official firmware I get around 17000-18000, with  DGteam firmware as low as 11000 to around 14500 at most. I have all the default settings enabled on when I use DGteam.  Any other speedtester does not show this difference and all show around 18500 with either firmware installed.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same or would mind trying it.

Cheers
Roger

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL2+ with DG834G_V4_V5.01.16_DGTeam_1018 & BT Speedtester
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm not clear what you mean.

Any other speedtester does not show this difference and all show around 18500 with either firmware installed.

So are you talking about connection speed, IP profile, or actual download speed?

Forget the above, I've now worked it out. :)

So the download speed from the BT speedtester is much less with the DGTeam firmware than with the Netgear firmware, but on other speed test sites there is no difference. The only thing I can think of offhand is the router MTU value, which may be set differently between the two firmwares. I'm still not sure why this should only affect the BT speedtester, but it's all I can think of.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:19:58 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Rogs

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:20:33 PM »

Thanks for that Eric. Yes, you've worked it out correctly. Sorry if it was a bit misleading.

MTU seems a good place to start and would make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure that both firmwares were set the same at 1458.  I will do a bit of experimenting with different MTU settings tomorrow, but don't want to disconnect too many times for obvious reasons.

I was wondering if the Bt speedtester was playing up as it reports my ip profile as 19850, when at my sync speed should be 19000. However this shouldn't make any difference between the two firmware versions.

Thanks
Roger

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »

I was wondering if the Bt speedtester was playing up as it reports my ip profile as 19850, when at my sync speed should be 19000. However this shouldn't make any difference between the two firmware versions.

I don't think it's the BT speedtester playing up. There have been several reports of similar things recently, and BT have been testing new DLM procedures, so I think you're seeing the result of these tests and/or a stuck profile, and the speedtester is reporting it correctly.
  Eric

Rogs

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »

Thanks Eric, I was wondering about the strange ip profilesI I have been seeing. Hope BT can find an answer!

Guess I'm in the wrong area here to go into profiles and ADSL2+ bit loading so I'll start a new thread on my observations! I have seven tones that have no bits loaded and have noticed the exact same tones empty in other peoples bit loading graphs.

As for being a stuck profile, if it is stuck on 19000 it's not a bad figure to get stuck on ;D

Back to routers, I have tried both of my DG834gv4's with the DGteam firmware and the official Netgear firmware and both are reporting a worse download throughput with the DGteam version + BT speedtester combination. I have tried tweaking the MTU up and down from the recommended 1458 and this does not seem to make much difference. Will probably go for the official firmware after a bit more testing

Cheers
Roger

anything