Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MT882a Frustrations in Africa  (Read 3020 times)

Sharpshot

• Just arrived
MT882a Frustrations in Africa
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »

Dear all,

Having been used to flawless internet in the UK, with Be and Virgin, I am now in Ghana for work, and the internet is driving me crazy. Initially the line wasn't too bad, but now it is almost unusable (took me about 30 minutes to even see the registration page here). Here is the background:

The Internet company was purchased by Vodafone, (Ironically, marketing Ghana as the number 1 country in Africa for broadband) which led to new broadband packages, and modems. The new modem, a Huawei SmartAX MT882a, is rather basic with it's configuration page, and drops the connection constantly. Also, there are constant "Warning! Filter Port Scan attack", if I have the firewall setting on, but it doesn't give you more detail. (Which makes me hesitant to turn it off, but I did in desperateness to see if that was the cause, same result). Not a great modem/router. I have tried to get them to change my line to interleaved vs fast path, and raise my SNR margin, which they won't do/can't do. (Support is bad, T.I.A. This Is Africa). So here are my questions:

1) I can telnet into the modem, but I have no idea how to set these settings by myself. Any Ideas? I have tried the DMT v2, and 3.21 with no luck in connecting, as recommended in one or two posts.
2) I am tempted just to replace the modem with a high quality one. Netgear seems to be popular on this board. I am using an Apple Time Capsule as my wireless solution, which the MT882a plugs into. Would the DG834 netgear modem connect to it with no problems? Is that my best option? Or the DM111P?
3) Will I be able to update it with some of the custom firmwares I see posted, or is that exclusively for the "G" wireless version

My last last option is to take the fiber option, but the price is terrible. So if buying a £60 modem will help, I'd be damned happy, although this isn't looking too good judging by the stats.

Status page attached, and adsl cli options.  (Note, the attenuation is at 63.5, which means it is probably higher as I read that is simply the hard coded display limit. Shocking line quality! It isn't to do with the the house cabling, as I layed my own dedicated line to the box up the street in an attempt to improve it. With zero impact. I used to have a steady 1Mb line with the previous modem, but it might be more people in the area are now using the same copper? No idea!)

Your advice, and expertise are very much appreciated.

Edit: Note, I have no problem replacing the Apple router for an all in one Modem/Wireless router. The design of the house means I need to extend the original base station. (Main base station, one in the video room for streaming to apple TV via Boxee, one in the corridor for the bedrooms) The apple solution just proved to be the easiest with the Airport plug ins. Open to other recommendations!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:03:46 AM by Sharpshot »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: MT882a Frustrations in Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:28:01 AM »

Hi and welcome,

First, it's a shame that they can't/won't switch your connection to interleaved, because that would probably make a considerable improvement in the stability. Unfortunately, this isn't something which can be forced from your end. So tweaking the target noise margin upwards should improve things, but at the expense of some speed of course.

The MT882 accepts the same CLI commands as the Solwise SAR110, and there's some information on the CLI commands here. This doesn't cover noise margin tweaking, but I see from your second snapshot that there is a command wan adsl targetnoise nnnn which presumably is the command you want. If you type it without the nnnn I guess it will print the current value, and you may be able to infer what new values to try. If you Google for 'wan adsl targetnoise' you will get lots of hits, which might give you a steer.
  Eric

anything