Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Total Broadband  (Read 12194 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Total Broadband
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the clarification - it sounds like the BTVision guy has done all he could... and the problem is BT broadband not reading the report properly :(

From here it looks like theres some sort of intermittent line fault which causes the line to drop every so often.
Unfortunately these sorts of faults are often the hardest to track down :(

The CRC errors are indicative that the interference is becoming bad, but not quite bad enough yet for the line to physically drop.
Is there any pattern to these symptoms eg when lights/heating etc are switched on?
Theres also a few more tips to try here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dabber

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 08:37:22 AM »

I can't see any obvious pattern and I know one of the engineers at BTw was also looking for a pattern but couldn't see anything obvious (unfortunately he's now disappeared off the case as he was the one who initially picked up on the errors).

I have removed the ringwire but that didn't do anything. The BT Vision guy did remove a cable between the vision box and socket (he said that it wasn't needed, although the manual says it is :o). That did have an immediate effect cos at that time the margin was at 18 and straight after dropped to 7.5.

I'll have another look and see if I can see a pattern and I'll go thru the list you provided to see if there is anything else I can do at this end. I must admit the BT Vision guy did fit a filtered plate for me but had to take it off cos Vision and Hub wouldn't work (both these are connected to an extension BT put in when vision was first installed).

Thanks for your help again and at least i can now get onto BT and tell them that sorting out these errors may actually resolve in me getting better and more stable speeds.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »

btw (sorry if you already have)... but have you tired a quiet line test?
- Dial 17070 and select option 2
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Dabber

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »

I did try back in August when I first had the problem and is was OK. Just tried it again and there is now some faint noise on the line, but no crackling.

I'm throwing it back to India tonight and getting them to investigate these errors as the router re-sync'ed yesterday lunchtime and the count although re-set to zero after the re-sync has already climbed to 10,000+

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:39 PM »

>> I'm throwing it back to India tonight and getting them to investigate

Good luck
-----

Dabber

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »

That didn't work.

They did "something" as all of a sudden I've now got over 1.2m FEC errors :'( and the speed has halved again. They really are useless. Think I'll go back to dial up :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

What happens if you plug the router in to the test socket behind the master socket?

Are things any more stable from there?
-----

Dabber

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »

The number of errors (CRC and HEC) are a lot less, but the speed didn't really increase.

The router was in the test socket for 48 hours so whether it would have improved after that I don't know. The BT engineer thought it wouldn't and was convinced it was either the exchange or the line but OpenReach just won't do anything about the line

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »

>> The number of errors (CRC and HEC) are a lot less

hmmmm indicating that some sort of interference is being introduced in between the master socket and its normal residence. 
Its entirely possible that the telephone cable extension is running past something which is introducing additional errors.  If the combination of any external influences and plus the internal influences take these too far then this is when your line will drop.

You could (and perhaps should) look at the CRC errors being an "early warning sign" that things are getting bad and the line is about to drop if it gets much worse.  The less CRC/HEC errors you have the better.
-----

Dabber

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »

Thanks Kitz for that.

Another BT engineer (no 6) is coming out on Monday to "fix my problem once and for all". Perhaps he's coming to take the whole lot out. That'll certainly cure it :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

eke I hope not lol  :D

-----

shape

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »

Hi,
   Have you tried plugging another router, not a homehub into the master socket and monitored the situation for 2 days?

Dabber

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »

Yes I tried by trusted old Netgear and although it didn't re-sync all the time the speed was still crap. :'(

shape

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »

Hi,
   I too thought the netgear was trusty, not so for me with similar problem as you.
I highly recommend you get yourself a speedtouch 585 v6 from ebay like I did for £25.
I'm holding on now, whereas the netgear and hub could not hold sync.
This router is well regarded for this.
Hope this helps.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

I tried my Netgear DG834G on my Be ADSL2+ line... which syncs at > 9Mb with the Speedtouch 585v6. The Netgear managed 7Mb, so maybe there is something about the Speedtouch.
Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3