Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Performance Tester problems  (Read 3615 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
BT Performance Tester problems
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »

Hi there everybody,

I recently got an update for the Java plugin for Mozilla Firefox, and since then I have been unable to use the BT Performance Tester. An exception is thrown in the Java console, and although it looks as if the testing is continuing, it just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling the current version, and supposedly reverting to the previous version, but that seems to be the same as well.

Has anyone else who has the current Java plugin (Java Platform SE 6 U22 6.0.220.4) installed noticed this problemette , or is it just me ?

TIA

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: BT Performance Tester problems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »

Are you sure the problem is plug-in related?

Over in my ISP's community forum http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88870.0.html you'll see that the tester has been giving odd results and failing for some while now.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:36 PM »

Thanks renluop,

I've just tried it again now, and guess what ---- it worked fine. It does appear to be somewhat unreliable wouldn't you say.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »

There are still problems. and PN staff are in ongoing contact with BT, as it is the only one recognized by BT for faults. That's ironic given PN is wholly owned by BT.

For routine testing they suggest

My Broadband Speed and SpeedTest Com

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »

For as long as Ive known the BT Performance Tester seems to go through spats of problems for one reason or other.
The most common being that it gets very busy and comes under pressure during peak times.

AFAIK there are only 2 servers that perform the performance test and btwspeedtest which are located at Manchester and iirc Bletchley/MK.  Which one you connect to depends on which type of service you are on and test requested.

>> That's ironic given PN is wholly owned by BT

PN is owned by BT retail, whilst the testers belong to BT Wholesale.  The different sections of BT are chinese walled and should in theory be treated as separate companies so that BTr doesnt get preference over any other ISP.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/BT.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker