Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Integral filter faceplates  (Read 1998 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Integral filter faceplates
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I thought you might  be interested to see the effects of installing an ADSL Nation integral Filter faceplate in a rambling house where the modem and filter dongle were fitted to the master socket.
My suspicions were aroused when I observed an IP Profile of 3000 Kbps but a BT speed test throughput of only 787 Kbps. There was audible noise on the line but much less from the test socket.
I later discovered a hidden alarm system without a filter. Note the 2Wire 2700 HGV ignores more tones between upstream and downstream when it detects a noisier line.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Integral filter faceplates
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »

A very large difference. But I suppose that the major part of the difference comes from filtering the alarm system, and not from the filtered faceplate as such.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »

I agree Eric,

Though given the tangled wiring there could have been other sources of noise, even after I'd removed the bell wires.
The beauty of the integral filter blocking everything downstream of it, is that I didn't have to find and open every socket and isolate cables going in all directions.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:33:30 PM »

I agree completely with that point, Walter. A filtered faceplate makes it so much easier to be sure that internal wiring isn't degrading the ADSL performance.
  Eric