Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wiring a Telephone Plug help!  (Read 11636 times)

AWB70

Wiring a Telephone Plug help!
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »

Any one know how to put a plug on for a telephone extension? I'm found this link http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html I'm having one of them moments where it looks simple enough but the wiring diagram is for different colour wires, I guess I should just line up the colours right?

Do I have to bare the wire in any way? I only have one of these from focus and I take it once you've crushed the pins in it would have to be cut off again if its wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Wiring a Telephone Plug help!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »

Hi AWB70,

The correct way to add your extension wire is to unscrew the faceplate and add the two wires to pins 2 & 5. The normal convention is to put the white and blue stripe in terminal 2 and the blue and white stripe into pin 5.
Your new extension socket should be wired in the same way.
You MUST use a proper insertion tool which can be a cheap plastic one or the better professional one.
We can add the link to show you the tool if you can't find it.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:19:46 PM »

Any one know how to put a plug on for a telephone extension? I'm found this link http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

I don't see why you say that link is wrong or confusing as it looks right to me and is the same as Walter is saying, you only need two wires 2 (w/b) and 5 (b/w).

Oh I see they have 2 (b/w) and 5 (w/b). But it does not really matter so long as you keep them all the same to each socket.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:24:23 PM by BritBrat »

AWB70

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:29:41 AM »

cheers
Oh I see they have 2 (b/w) and 5 (w/b)
That's where it was getting confusing  ??? I was going to put a plug on the end so it could be removed if it caused any problems but to be fair I don't think the extension was causing any problems in the first place it was just removed as part of the elimination process. My new BT business hub seems to have sorted the noise issues  ;) my old router which I took to work as it was only affected by evening time noise packed up totally after a couple of week and my monitor also went kaput so chance are it was either or both.

I'll check which way round the extension is wired on the other box now I know it doesn't matter as long both are the same. What about the other 2 wires the O/W & W/O, if they are not connected on the extension should I terminate them or just cut them out you reckon? Also found this as well http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf

Hopefully I can get my retrain and put an end to all this, I have done three week long tests since changing to the hub and have had no retrains or disconnections in that time. I'm going to put my extension back in because Sky are giving me ear ache about it being off the phone line and try again for a week, if I get no probs I've asked my isp to have a shot at resetting my snr. I'm currently running on 16db and getting an ip profile of 3500kbps, if they drop me down I should be able to sync at 4000 and get the old speeds back I was used to  8)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »

There is a problem by not following a standard wiring pattern as you have found out. If there was a standard you would know which wire went to which terminal. May I suggest you decide what that standard will be and make a note of it somewhere in or on the relevant sockets. I'm thinking about anyone who has to follow and try and find out what wire goes to where as well as yourself in the future. ;)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

Please leave the orange wires loose in the back of the box. They might be needed in the future but they MUST NOT be connected at present.
I don't think we've said so explicitly, but all phone wiring must use a single twisted pair (of the colour you choose - blue being the normal one).

Kind regards,
Walter

AWB70

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »

There is a problem by not following a standard wiring pattern as you have found out. If there was a standard you would know which wire went to which terminal.

I have two sockets one for each of my Sky boxes. The first was fitted many moons ago by an electrician friend and the other by a retired BT friend of mine when I got multi room in. I can remember when the BT guy did the second one there was much scratching of heads and he had to take the cover off the first one which wasn't so easy to access because it was behind a fish tank cabinet with about 4" clearance from the wall  >:D After reading your very helpful posts I'm starting to wonder here if possibly the BT guy wired the 2nd socket the opposite way or non standard because my other friend had done that on the 1st one, or the BT changed the 1st one round to the correct way. I would imagine he would have just gone non standard on the second one as it was far easier to access and probably only opened up the first one to see how it was wired. :-\

I'll check the easy one and assume that's the way to go for now as they were both working fine before I took the wires out of the face plate. I'll get round to doing them the standard proper way at some point but the fish tank one will be a nightmare.

Please leave the orange wires loose in the back of the box. They might be needed in the future but they MUST NOT be connected at present.

Roger will do!

I don't think we've said so explicitly, but all phone wiring must use a single twisted pair (of the colour you choose - blue being the normal one).

Not sure what you mean by single twisted pair, just confirming I need to take the cover off the 1st extension and whichever the number terminal B/W goes to do the same in my main box and same with the W/B the leave the other two out right?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »

Correct.

By a twisted pair I mean any same-colour pair e.g. white with blue stripe and blue with white stripe.
If you look carefully you'll see each colour pair is twisted individually thereby hopefully canceling out noise as the wires rotate.

Another approach to establish the actual connections is to plug a cable tester into the sockets on either end. E.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-N21CL-Ethernet-cable-tester/dp/B000Q5X5AG/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

Kind regards,
Walter

AWB70

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »

Ahh I get you so the same colour scheme wires would be a twisted pair, so the orange/white and white/orange are also a twisted pair.
Just letting you know job done everything working again  :) Coincidently the wires were in the right places colours and numbers wise. Only thing I did notice was that the first extension had the orange wire connected on the extension so I just left it in. Think I should take it out?

Hopefully tests this week will be ok and I can get my snr reduced without my isp blaming me  ;D

Much appreciated to all who's helped.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »

Hi AWB,

I always remove all the bell wires as a matter of course as they are redundant nowadays anyway.
Sometimes it doesn't make any difference but I play it safe !
I.e. you should only have wires connected to pins 2 & 5 everywhere.

Kind regards,
Walter

AWB70

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »

Ok I will take it out, can't do any harm.

anything