Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stable ADSL connection but unstable internet  (Read 1836 times)

robotpunk

• Just arrived
Stable ADSL connection but unstable internet
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

Hi,
I'm experiencing a rather frustrating problem with my Be Broadband ADSL connection. I have a stable, synced ADSL2+ connection, but approx. every 15 minutes i lose internet connection for approx. 4 minutes at a time. While the internet connection is down the ADSL remains synced, this has been confirmed by the ISP. The connection seems to drop in and out in a consistent pattern - its definitely not random.

We have just moved into a new house, fairly close to the exchange. The house is a new build and does not have the standard BT NTE-5 demarcation point and hence, no test socket inside the house. The first two weeks after we moved in we we're using the landlords Talk Talk ADSL2 connection with no problems at all. The new Be service worked fine for about a week before it began to drop out. We've tried 3 different Noise Profiles (6db, 9db, and 12db) which have made no difference. We have tried 3 different router/modems with no change. We have also tried ADSL1, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ connections and have the same problem with each.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Stable ADSL connection but unstable internet
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »

Hi and welcome

If your ADSL connection is stable then the problem isn't with your setup. It could be a router problem, but as you've tried different ones, that's not at all likely. Noise profiles don't come into it, because they only affect the ADSL connection.

Your problem is an unstable PPP (internet) connection, and as your connection is LLU that's down to Be. It looks as though you will have to chase them for a solution.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Stable ADSL connection but unstable internet
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »

Have you tried with interleaving on and off?
My (Be) line is usually stable without interleaving (fastpath) but occasionally interference makes it unusable, though the connection stays up.
I now just run all the time with interleaving on and a 3dB profile.

anything