Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach fault charges  (Read 3250 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Openreach fault charges
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Most of us are aware of the possible £125 charge by BT Openreach if they are called out to repair a fault on your internal wiring or where their faulty cable is within your curtilage.

However I have discovered that BT expect you to accept the possibility of a charge if a line fault is caused by your unbundled ISP causing the fault within their equipment.
I have not found any instances when that has happened, but the complications of becoming involved in BT Openreach to ISP discussions don't bear thinking about !

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach fault charges
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »

I can't see how you could be held responcible for another persons actions.

weezer

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »

Possibly be the case in SMPF where voice is retained by BT, can't say I've heard of it before though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:57:00 AM by weezer »

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

I can't see how you could be held responcible for another persons actions.

Neither do I.

If the ISP you use makes a mistake & causes a problem with OR`s equipment, then I`d expect the ISP to foot the bill or argue the toss with OR.

But I can see how it could get messy, OR pick the weakest link, the end user! Pay up or else.

It doesn`t seem right that an individual can take responsibility for an ISP`s cock-ups or possible negligence, it`d be interesting to see what a Court/Judge would say, after all we as consumers aren`t actually allowed to talk/communicate directly with OR, only an ISP can do this.

If OR were to try then I could see many simply paying, but I can see some telling them where to shove their invoice/charge. What happens next would make interesting news.  :)

khayos

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »

Hi

My first post here so be gentle.

I will confirm why you are requested to confirm charges with your ISP;

Every ISP LLU or WLR use BT Openreach for engineering works. When faults are logged to OR for an engineer visit the ISP has to confirm that all internal checks have been done and that the fault must lie on OR equipment within the customers property (you).

If however OR come to your property and find that you have your Sky TV box hardwired into your NTE5 box which was causing you to drop sync, then you get charged as you should have been asked to remove all other equipment from your mastersocket including the faceplate and plug your router direct to the test socket.

Other reasons charges are confirmed:

Un-filtered alarm lines.
Failure to replace filters or test with alternate equipment.
Internal damage to your wiring.

These are but a small glimpse into the possible things that fall outside OR remit.

Don't be confused by LLU, the line is still technically maintained by BT Openreach and if an engineer is requested to come to site, charges must be confirmed.

And finally, just a quick addition, engineer charges as of October 2010 are £140 +VAT.

Khayos