Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mosquito repellent  (Read 10175 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Mosquito repellent
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »

There was an interesting article in the paper this morning. It seems that there are a lot more mosquitoes around this year because of the wet summer. People are being advised to take precautions against mosquito bites, and to use antihistamine cream or something similar if they get bitten. Apparently, one of the most effective repellents is to eat Marmite, because the little devils hate it.

This has been a public service announcement. ;)
  Eric

scottiesmum

Re: Mosquito repellent
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

eat Marmite, because the little devils hate it.

so do  I   !!!  :D     

.....     I find spraying with a lemon based spray keeps them at bay .....if you are eating outside 'citronella' candles are a repellent and interestingly pelargoniums keep mozzies and other flying insects away  .....

PSA No. 2    ;D

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »

I have read elsewhere that rubbing a bounce (tumbledrier) sheet on your skin keeps them away.  I haven't tried this myself because I have a little machine that emits a high pitched sound that keeps them away.  I know some people won't believe this, but I always get bitten when I don't have it on, and never get bitten when I do have it on.  My husband says I am his best protection because they much prefer me to him :P

I haven't encountered any mossies in England yet, only abroad

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »

they were so bad in our house that i ended up vacuuming them off the walls there was so many.  now they arent so bad i use an old washing up brush to catch/kill em.  it dosent splat em, so my walls arent covered in dead mozzies.

my missis says i'm mad but i think they are so arrogant, if you waft em away they just hang about waiting for another chew on me.

i've heard that if they land on your skin, if you stretch your skin apart either side of the mozzy then it will trap its needle and it will suck until it pops??
Paul

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »

first you've got to actually see them land on your skin, and then put your hand nearly on top of them to stretch the skin??? sounds like one of those urban myths to me :lol:

Just as a matter of interest, do you live close to water such as a canal where they breed?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:52:06 PM »

Live near to the Lancaster Canal and walk the dog there almost everyday.
Mossies are hanging around near any almost stagnant water but I have found that a few pints of Boddingtons or Thwaites Cask create enough 'wind' to repel them and any other thing that flies and wants to land on me or the dog.

dave  8)

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »

Live near to the Lancaster Canal and walk the dog there almost everyday.
Mossies are hanging around near any almost stagnant water but I have found that a few pints of Boddingtons or Thwaites Cask create enough 'wind' to repel them and any other thing that flies and wants to land on me or the dog.

dave  8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »

see em??  we can hear em !!  they're nearly a centimeter long round here !! 

when we're in bed, if i hear 1 then me or the missis cant sleep till its caught or else we wake with a hugh red itchy lump somewhere on our bodies.

no stagnent canals around here, ive tried to find the source but with all the rain we've had a breeding ground could b anything which holds water .... old tyres, water butts, puddles ...
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:06:59 PM »

>>>  one of the most effective repellents is to eat Marmite, because the little devils hate it.

ewwwww ...  not surprised  :tongue:

I've heard that some places in the country seem to have been badly affected with them this year.. but touch wood not too bad around here - possibly too near the sea rather than any "still water".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »

Cheese and Marmite sandwiches, yummy  :P
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »

I hate marmite too... does that make me a mosquito?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 02:45:13 AM »

>>>  one of the most effective repellents is to eat Marmite, because the little devils hate it.
And one of the most effective treatments for mozzy bites is to (pee on it) or get a "very good friend to do it" :bye:

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »

And one of the most effective treatments for mozzy bites is to (pee on it) or get a "very good friend to do it" :bye:

or for the ladies who might find this a little difficult,  :P  buy a bottle of ammonia, the main ingredient of many cures

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 08:34:43 AM »

Vinegar or anything alcoholic will take out the sting and the itch ....  it's much more polite, in company, to dab the bite with a drop of your wine - rather than ask one of the male guests to 'pi- pi' on it   :no:   :lol:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:09:38 PM by scottiesmum »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »

mmmm... Marmite... yum ;D .. I might go out and buy some now actually.. :P
Chris
Pages: [1] 2

anything