Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Bouncy Line" & erratic upstream attenuation  (Read 9214 times)

MrE

Re: "Bouncy Line" & erratic upstream attenuation
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »

Hi,

Thought I would update and ask for any ideas other thatn return to the dark ages lol
So "voice" engineer came (same guy that came before for broadband) told me that the noises were "normal broadband sounds" ran tests that said all normal. However he then went outside & found a wire was shorting just up the road cut it out & then changed over the copper pair anyway.
I have not noticed the intermittent noise since but the "broadband noises" are still there.
My connection held for 1 day but now intermitently drops again so no chance of speed increases!
I did notice that when I briefly had a speed increase the other day the Upstream stats stabilized as well but then returned to the normal fluctuations when my profile was dropped to 350kbps.
I have tried the REIN test with the radio & have used three different routers/filters/ADSL wires as I said before.

Dont know what to do now as i just received notification from my isp that Bt have raised charges of £95 + VAT for the two previous FAILED broadband engineer visits. :no: Next I guess BT will be looking to charge for the voice one as well even though he found a shorting out wire up the road!  :o

Any ideas? At this rate it will be cheaper to get one of those Super wifi connections designed for remote areas. (where you have an arial on your house)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »

Hi Mr E,

1.  The next time you're talking to a visiting BT engineer ask if there's any aluminium on your line which could possibly be causing grief.

2.  One drastic solution would be to change your provider to one of the more helpful ones such as AAISP.

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-trial.html

Kind regards,
Walter

MrE

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »

Aluminium?
Dont really want to change ISP cos then they will just say line can only do 568kbps & I will not be able to show previously stable line.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:15:11 AM by MrE »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »

Hi again Mr E,

Aluminum alloy wire goes brittle over time and crimp joints become unreliable due to corrosion. E.g.

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=306

Kind regards,
Walter

MrE

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »

Hi Walter,
Wow. I know it is copper from the house, but will be sure to ask the next guy. Of course he wont know unless he looks further away than the last three times when they barely left the property.

Thanks Mr-E

MrE

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

Hi again,

So..... would any of you wise people know if it is normal to see a 1db increase in both up & down SNRM when I use my phone? (for the duration of the call)

It doesnt make sence to me, but that and the eratic upstram attenuation & SNRM are the only pointers I can see as to what may be causing the disconnects & subsequent profile drop.

Thanks

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »

Hi once more Mr E,

I've seen that around here a couple of times. It can be caused by a High Resistance line fault, but what the underlying problem is, can be more difficult to diagnose.
A co-operative ISP might use the information to get a SFI raised, without risking a charge to you. However do be sure to conduct a repeat test from the test socket within the master socket.

Kind regards,
Walter

MrE

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

Hi again Walter,

ok so will continue to push for a SFI but getting scared now following those notifications of charges. Also would a high resistance not show on the normal tests that they do on arrival?

Just as a weird side note connection is now up for 2 days! so dont want to unplug to get to the test socket (master socket replaced by 1st engineer anway so is new)
Seriously this is driving me mad!    Had a good connection for years now all is going mad & all I seem to get is scandelouse bills! (not aimed at anybody here just is how I feel)

Thanks,
Mr-E
Pages: 1 [2]

anything