Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sunny Sunday Soundings 19th Sept.  (Read 6631 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Sunny Sunday Soundings 19th Sept.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

The shooting mode is not a factor, unkyUb, the important thing is the correct hood for the two lenses..........too short and it is ineffective, too long and you get vignetting ( darkening on the corners of the image )

You will have been supplied with one for each lens, I'm sorry, I don't know the item codes.........the one for the wide lens will be shorter and wider (the 16mm one), the long lens one a bit longer and a bit narrower (the 49mm one)......the filter thread on the front of the lenses will indicate the correct diameter to use.

What do you think is the problem with your church interiors ? They look fine.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »

I think the Church interior look fine too Unc ..  and what a beautiful interior it is !  ( the one thing that does bother me is the inscription about the rose  ..... "each year a payment of a red rose is made by the Mayor"    ...... does he put that on expenses I wonder    >:D  )       

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »

The shooting mode is not a factor, unkyUb, the important thing is the correct hood for the two lenses..........too short and it is ineffective, too long and you get vignetting ( darkening on the corners of the image )

You will have been supplied with one for each lens, I'm sorry, I don't know the item codes.........the one for the wide lens will be shorter and wider (the 16mm one), the long lens one a bit longer and a bit narrower (the 49mm one)......the filter thread on the front of the lenses will indicate the correct diameter to use.

What do you think is the problem with your church interiors ? They look fine.  :)

Hi TD  :)

Both the lens hoods will fit both lenses.....The Sony SH0006 is the 16mm deep one and the SH0007 is the 49mm deeper one.The 49mm one is slightly wider than the 16mm even though the screw on fitting is the same.Now I know I should use the lens hood all the time I'm just not sure when you use the deeper one and when you should use the shallow one.

Those are the better images I took.I will post one or two that I think are not quite right.One thing is a dark interior and bright light coming in through windows(not stained glass)

Here's a picture with the hoods fitted to give you a better idea

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:52:14 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »

Good morning unkyUb  ;D

Lens hoods.........the short fat one goes on the short fat lens...all the time, the longer one goes on the longer lens...all the time. The hoods are not interchangeable between the lenses even if both will fit each other in terms of throat diameter.
Each hood is designed to offer flair protection to a specific lens and will be effective on that lens only.

Am trundling through your photos one at a time........there are some very good ones there and I will post some specific comments....there is a lot to look through.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:01 AM »

Good morning to you also TD  :)

Thank you for your comments,they are very much appreciated.

I am quite annoyed with myself as it is down to poor camera housekeeping on my part. :-[

I will certainly make sure I keep the lenses clean in future and use the hoods all the time.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 07:41:30 AM »

I think you're being too hard on yourself, Phil. There are some very good pictures in that collection. A great deal of the enjoyment of photography is in learning from your mistakes and doing even better next time, and we have the benefit of a first-rate teacher here. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »

I agree with roseway to the extent that you are being hard on yourself, unkyUb........I doubt if there is a lens in the world that has not had sticky fingers or dust or whatever on it from time to time. The TD lenses are a disgrace in this respect.

A good lesson, however, .......give them a wee clean before using them.. ;)

Edit to add..

Just to round off the flair question and why it is apparent in some images and not others.

Lets look at the three Flatford Mill images.
Two of these do not exhibit flare. The ones where you have zoomed in a bit. In these images, the house and ground predominate the scene and there is very little sky showing......when calculated as a percentage of the whole scene.
The third image, where you zoomed back to your widest setting does exhibit flare. The factor here is the huge amount of sky, as a percentage, but more important is the large area of water in the forground. Very shiny water....just look at the huge amount of light being reflected off that water..it almost takes over the image.
The very strong reflection is bouncing back light into and onto the lens....add that to the light from the sky. Furthermore, unlike the light from the sky, the reflected stuff is not hitting the lens squarely...it is coming in at an angle and is raking across the lens element instead of passing through in a straight line.
In that circumstance, any dirt or smudge on the element will bend the light a bit and cause a loss of definition....flair.

Similarly, in the shot of the church tower flair has been picked up because, due to the very nature of the subject, you have in effect pointed the lens at the comparatively bright sky...comparative to the steeple, that is.

Both these instances would not have occured on a smudge free lens.. :)

Will be back.....this is interesting.. :clap2:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:59:01 AM by tuftedduck »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »

:)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »

Much better  :clap2:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

:)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »

You're working well TD  :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »

You're working well TD  :)

Isn't he......what a star.  :)  :clap2:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:04 AM »

I have been having a look again at you images, unkyUb, and all I can say is...........congratulations.

They are lovely, without exception.

In the Flatford Mill ones, I really like the way you have resisted the temptation to plonk the building into the centre of the frame. You have used the "rule of thirds" well and have the building in just the right spot. These images are very pleasing indeed.

The church exteriors are very good, well balanced and nicely composed and are a treat for the eyes.
The interiors are stunning, and you have done very well with exposures in very tricky lighting.
One image is affected by barrel distortion, but that is par for the course with zoom lenses and there is not much you can do....except in photoshop or the like.

The seaside ones are great..........and nice level horizons.

You have an eye for compositions, and your results are top rate.. :thumbs:

Well done............but I would still like to wean you off the auto modes  ;D .......but that's just me.. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 10:09:16 AM »

In the Flatford Mill ones, I really like the way you have resisted the temptation to plonk the building into the centre of the frame. You have used the "rule of thirds" well and have the building in just the right spot.

That is the advice you gave me last year which was logged in the old memory banks. :)

Well done............but I would still like to wean you off the auto modes

I know I should be a bit more adventurous.There are plenty of various options on the dial wheel,or do you mean use the manual setting 'M' and play about with various options,ISO setting etc.

I did just take a couple of shots in manual mode and altered the ISO settings,one taken @200and one taken @ 1600.The 1600 one seems a lot more detailed.

I found this image that I took using the hood when we visited Ullswater in June.I saved as I wanted to know why you can see the circle round the edge.I'm wondering if I had the hood on the wrong lens?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:13:42 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »

Oooops...............yessiree...wrong hood on the wrong lens.. ;D

Wide angle lenses are thus described because they have a very wide angle of view and gather light and the scene from a wide view. Something like 73 degrees of an arc or there abouts.
The little short hoods for these lenses are built so that the front edge of that hood does not intrude into that wide angle of view.
However, longer lenses have a much narrower angle of view, (which angle decreases the longer is the lens or the more it is zoomed out) and can thus carry a hood which is longer and narrower than the wide one.

However, put a long lens hood onto a wide angle lens....and the leading edge of that hood intrudes into the angle of view cutting of some of the light/scene and preventing it getting through the lens........which is exactly what has happened in this image.

As to being more adventurious.....there is really no "must" about it........take the photos you are happy with by whatever means give you the result you are after. Manual mode will give more creative opportunity but stick with what you are happiest with.  :)

As a side issue, interesting on that photo, taken in June, there is the dreaded finger smudge.. :( .........that was the trip then when you poked the lens... :no:

Changing from iso 200 to 1600 makes the sensor more sensitive in that it becomes capable of gathering more light and yes it may appear to give bit more detail when used in good light. However it can cause a lot of digital noise to appear....so use with caution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4