Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Think you are 'Doing Your Bit' with low energy light bulbs?  (Read 46548 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Think you are 'Doing Your Bit' with low energy light bulbs?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »

Must admit they do seem to take a while to "get going".
The one in the downstairs loo seldom "gets going" properly before being turned off again.. so it does often seem a bit dim in there. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:25 AM »

i got a few of the morrisons ones a couple of weeks ago .... 30 odd pence each .. but they only had the (equivalent) 100w in bayonet, or 60w in the screw cap but they're cheaper to run than normal 60w bulbs so i dont mind.

mine light up straight away .. no warming up !   :)
Paul

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »

The modern ones now come up to full luminosity almost as soon as they are switched on.

When we lived in Blackpool and I was on Disability Living Allowance we got the house loft insulation redone and the cavity wall insulation done for free and we got a box of four various long life bulbs.

When we moved to Garstang I got the DLA team in to see what we could get for nowt but unfortunately everything was done but we still got a box of four...etc.

After nine months decided to change to Age concern Powergen for gas supplies so, as well as CO2 detectors and a thermometer we also got a box of four..... (you guessed it).

Was going to set up a stall on the local market but as Morrissons are 'throwing' them out at 39p it is not worth it.  ;D

Just might have a word with the Blackpool Illuminations team to see if.......... (well it's got to be done)  :lol:

dave

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 04:13:27 PM »

>> How long are they supposed to last?

Dunno but Ive got one in the downstairs loo which has been there from the previous occupant.  I moved in here 8 years ago  :D

Don't you think it's time you came out and let someone else use it???  :-[

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »

I read somewhere that the Official Advice (i.e. that which we all ignore) is that if a Flu tube or long life bulb is broken in an enclosed space than the area should be evacuated immediately and Appropriate Experts called in.

Oo er!

Reminds me of the Official Advice to Army personnel in the event of a Nuclear strike:

"Be somewhere else when it happens"

When the EU ban the sale of all items containing mercury then Long Life bulbs will disappear off the shelves.  Damn glad I stocked up on the old fashion sort.

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

I am kind of into energy saving for the sake of saving a little bit of money. I turn off the PC and all the TV stuff at the wall socket at night and so on.

However I am not impressed by the complications of correctly recycling or disposing of all these electronics at a cost to the end user. For example, every now and again the odd PC, monitor etc comes my way which I might keep, sell or scrap in strictly incorrect ways i.e. the wheelie bin, metal chassis and monitors to the tip.

Mind you I have seen on the Dell website, that you can arrange for your old computer to be collected from your home and recycled for free. No such service for 40p energy saving bulbs yet though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »

Recycling is a mess in this country isn't it? A few months ago I took two old CRT monitors to the local tip and asked the guys where I should leave them. "Just chuck 'em in the skip, mate" was the rather surprising answer. :(
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »

Recycling is a mess in this country isn't it?

Too bloomin' right it is. Our local council wants only the right type of plastic (not always easy to decide which is right), cardboard has to be cut into A4 sized pieces, no foil blah blah blah.

I believe that the manufacturers and retailers should be forced to use only packaging that can be recycled.

Have you noticed that some 'foil' type wrappers have the recycle logo on them, others don't? I'm not sure if our local council will accept even those - they aren't on the list of approved materials. I give them all of it anyway.

The other thing I'd like to see is shoppers forced to use their own bags, no more carriers.

(Soap Box Time)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 03:58:09 PM »

Some more cheery news for all of you who dutifully post your different coloured bottles through the correct hole in the bottle bank. I saw a mountain of bottles, all colours mixed together on the quayside in Truro, presumably waiting to be shipped for crushing into who knows what.

Or perhaps they put a message in each one and chuck it in the sea!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 04:21:14 PM »

Crushed glass is used as a building material or something like that, isn't it? Maybe it's used as a fancy path surface after processing it to remove the sharp edges.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

I'm sure I read somewhere that they put crushed green glass into tarmac. Why green I couldn't fathom; surely once it is coated in bitumen the colour is irrelevant.

I gather Leeds university has developed a building block that uses no cement and is made from waste materials such as glass, fly-ash and ash from waste incinerators, all bonded together with bitumen.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »

Our council are quite good.  We have garden refuse collected weekly, this includes any compostable material including cooked food.  Any food in this house goes to the Foxes, they do so love their Choccy Biccys.

Paper of all types goes bi-weekly.  As far as cardboard is concerned if it fits on the waggon then they will take it away.

Glass/plastic/foil/empty aerosol cans/tins etc go the weeks that the paper don't (clear?)

No hassle, no snoopers creeping round the streets, no whinging about we don't recycle enough or recycle the wrong things.  Got a fridge you want rid off, they will take it away for free.

London Borough of Bexley - Credit where credit is due.

We used to put glass in the street bins but were a bit bemused to see a truck arrive at the bins, lift up each bin in turn and empty it into the back of the truck.  So much for all that careful sorting.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:40 PM »

I was one on the parents that ran our local school (It was closed down by the council and the parents took it over 20 years ago and still going strong) but even though my daughter has left we still support it and one small way is instead of putting our plastic bottles, paper etc.out for the council we take them to the village recycling point and the school gets £3000 a year from it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 02:39:30 AM »

I probably shouldn't confess this,  :-[ but I don't have any (apart from the strip light in the kitchen - does that count?)
Do you want some    :lol:

Powergen send me about 4 "every six months" the local council gives them away and my housing provider also supply them.
I did wonder at one time if they were sending that many out if they didn't expect them to last long  :lol:
But no, they do last. I am still using one of my originals from about 15 years ago when I used to sell try to sell them in my shop for £11:99 (I don't think I ever sold one).
And likewise I use timer switches on them also.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7