Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: my last hope - help needed  (Read 31231 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: my last hope - help needed
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

I know I have said this before but must have missed your reply.

Have you ever tried changing the MTU settings?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »

Have you thought about playing Scrabble instead.  ;D

dpd

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »

Have you thought about playing Scrabble instead.  ;D

Nooooooo although i would have lots more hair ;D

dpd

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »

i tried to on my last isp (fast) but unsure whether what i did was correct. is there an idiots guide for virgin broadband? will check when i get back from town.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »

Hey, I will teach you how to play Yahoo Spades :)

http://uk.games.yahoo.com/online-games/card/games_spades.html

1. Is the MTU setting on the Xbox the same as in the router?

You have tried almost everything else and although this may not be of any use it is still worth checking.

2. Then you need to try and find the best value for your connection and test again.

My MTU is set at 1458 but it changes with each ISP and I think AOL is even as low as 1400.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:18:21 AM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »

minimum required mtu for xbox live is 1364. do you think by increasing/decreasing the mtu size could have an effect? also would my isp not just set my mtu at the best performance anyway?

dpd

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »

ok having followed the guide on this site to finding my optimum mtu settings it turns out that mine is 1472. any higher and the packets are defragmented. so 1472. when i go to my routers manual it says that the mtu is automatically set at 1500 and so when i went to manual setup to check it is indeed set to 1500.

now i just want some reassurance that changing this isnt going to affect my connection fort the worse, as im not sure what im doing here........is it really as simple as just entering the 1472 and clicking save then reboot?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »

The only requirement is that the MTU must be higher in the router than in the computer/Xbox.

If you find it has an adverse effect then change it back again.

dpd

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »

:no:

ive almost just about had it. do i sommon the strength to continue with the fight or just play the game with its lag. where do i go from here. im 1 person trying to find the problem and if i go back to EA they're hardly gonna take action on my say so.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »

Try the higher MTU as it is quite a difference from 1364.

You can always just put it back to what it was before.

Are you sure 1364 is the MTU and not a port number as it seems rather low to me?

You experience this behavior if your router or the gateway is incompatible with Xbox LIVE, or if your router or the gateway has an incorrect MTU setting.

This test confirms that the network has sufficient Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU). MTU is a setting on the router or the gateway that can affect network performance. Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364. If your console does not pass this test, you cannot sign in to Xbox LIVE.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908882

Have you ever updated the firmware of the Xbox?
Just another thought.
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=933498&lcid=1033&category=hardware
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:37:37 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »

i sent a few PM's out to some EA staff on the forums earlier this morning, explaining in depth what the problem is and what ive done to try and resolve it. anyway i got a replay just there and he said basically he will pass it on to someone else up the ladder but that fifa is P2P and any problems are down to either or both players connections............. :wall:

dpd

« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »

been on live chat today for 2 hours with a support agent from EA sports and have to say the more i speak to these people the more im unhappy. they refuse to let me test my connection to the european server gateway. at 1 point he gave me an ip address to perform a tracert and told me it was my local ea games server.

>>> 159.153.226.105 16  <<<

after i told him that was in the US and it wasnt what he said it was he became very defensive and questioning my knowledge on the subject of how the internet works. he then said im connecting to the EA servers in london, but EA dont have servers for fifa in the UK. they are in geneva.

where do i go from here?

i need to find the ip addresses for the fifa server gateways in europe. are they hiding something or trying to just get rid of me.

dpd

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 01:51:16 AM »

just thought id post an update. dont know if anyone here uses online gaming or knew that the new release of fifa 11 came out last friday and again the lag was present for me.

only the touble now is that its affecting almost everyone. the ea forums are swamped with the same threads - lag, micro pauses and being kicked out of the ea servers. i dont know why but i find it quite amusing that ea havent listened to me and others for 18 months and now.......bang. almost everyone has it. all online team modes are not working either. the game is a real mess. the ea developers are on the forums asking for details of the problems and after 5 days of troubles they still dont know whats causing the issues.

:lol:

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »

I asked someone to post some info here but they have not done so.

See my last post in this thread and the posts above it:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7892.msg168693.html#msg168693

dpd

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »

I asked someone to post some info here but they have not done so.

See my last post in this thread and the posts above it:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7892.msg168693.html#msg168693

thanks for that bb. i have to be honest here and say that most of that thread was over my head but id be interested to read more about the subject. i have sent a pm to the thread creator. hopefully he may be able to offer me some advice.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8