Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: my last hope - help needed  (Read 31287 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: my last hope - help needed
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »

I don't know either well not yet anyway.

I wonder if the modem has a NAT firewall and that is why they sugest putting it into bridge mode so it just lets the connection straight through.

I take it you still had the issue when not on cable so this may not be what the main problem is anyway.

Could there be a super user login for the cable modem and that is why you see minimal settings?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »

im getting quite high ping times in the region of between 10 - 50 ms. this is surely too high and i expect it should be 0-1ms.

I think your expectations are too ambitious !!

10 - 50ms is good..........1ms is a miracle  ;)

dpd

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

im getting quite high ping times in the region of between 10 - 50 ms. this is surely too high and i expect it should be 0-1ms.

I think your expectations are too ambitious !!

10 - 50ms is good..........1ms is a miracle  ;)

to my modem ?
those times are what get when doing traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk, the first hop which is my modem varies between 10-50ms.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:30:14 PM by dpd »

dpd

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »

I don't know either well not yet anyway.

I wonder if the modem has a NAT firewall and that is why they sugest putting it into bridge mode so it just lets the connection straight through.

I take it you still had the issue when not on cable so this may not be what the main problem is anyway.

Could there be a super user login for the cable modem and that is why you see minimal settings?

you are right when i was with o2 and fast no modem was used so this probably isnt the cause, but whilst trying to understand my connection better just wondered what the reason was.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »

those times are what get when doing traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk, the first hop which is my modem varies between 10-50ms.

Mine are 100ms....it's not unusual for the first hop to the router...it's down to prioritisation.

dpd

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »

ok then, i think this has got me beat. i really do not understand this. i cannot get a lag free game no matter what i try. im so frustrated by this i cant tell you.

im lagging on 1v1 and my opponents do not.
im lagging on online teamplay and the others are not.
my game plays fine offline but as soon as i login to ea servers im lagging.

why is my connection lagging on EA titles but my other games are all fine..... i think. my very last option is to try my connection to the ea login servers but even then i cant find the i.p. so im stuck. if anyone has any ideas to find out the server address or any other suggestions id be grateful.

list of things ive tried so far :

put console into dmz
open ports
connect console directly into modem
tried someone elses setup on my connection
had 3 different isp's
tried 3 different routers
had 2 consoles myself
changed ethernet cables
tried 2 different controllers
tried 3 different tv's

i really cant find find any problems on my connection.
 :'(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2010, 07:25:27 AM »

I don't think it has been mentioned before, but I take it that you are happy that your PC hardware.........processor, ram, graphics card.......are all up to the job ?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »

I kept comming back to PC issues but had to stop myself as he is talking about an Xbox360 and he has had it connected directly to router and no PC in use.

I did a few searches for EA servers quite a while ago but could not find a list or anything.

I think he has ruled out or at least tried every other option apart from EA servers and that is also a common item to every other person who has the same problem.  Either that or the intenet in this country is being slowed by monitoring by someone. Sorry had to take a wild guess and now taken foil hat off.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:19:35 AM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »

a few month back we were in dialogue with david rutter (online producer) from ea sports and whilst appeared to be helpful one thing he wasnt prepared to do was tell us the login server ip address. he said that there was no problem with the servers.

i was talking to a guy from the US last night and he was saying that whilst playing another ea title - battlefield bad company, he was sometimes being logged into the ea servers all around the world. he was connected to servers in switzerland, japan and the west coast of america despite living on the east coast. i found him by stumbling across one of his posts on those forums and he posted a guide on how to connect to the best servers via blocking ip addresses of the wrong servers so i supposse it does happen where the routing goes haywire.

>>> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/454723-how-always-connect-lowest-ping-server.html

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »

I pinged those servers he had images of and this was the best one:

C:\Documents and Settings\**********>ping 159.153.164.65

Pinging 159.153.164.65 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=1

Ping statistics for 159.153.164.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% l
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 62ms, Maximum = 64ms, Average = 63ms
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:58:54 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »

those are the battlefield servers, or at least a gateway to the servers. here is what i get >>>

Pinging 159.153.164.65 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=1
Reply from 159.153.164.65: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=1

Ping statistics for 159.153.164.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% l
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms

considering its geneva i think my times are pretty good. again i just dont get it. is there some other forces at work here? battlefield for me was just a horrible lag fest of a game but the login server ive just pinged seems fine.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »

Those pings are very good and I don't get it either.

I wonder if there is some monitoring software when you use some protocols and this slows it down that fraction.

Tin hat off again. :)

dpd

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »

been speaking to my us friend again and he seems really knowledgable on this. the only problem with it is he doesnt play fifa and only really plays BC2 so thats why he has researched how those servers work after experiencing similar problems i currently have.

with fifa being 1v1 (P2P) and online team play dedicated servers i think im right in saying the server setup is different. on the BC2 setup he has this to say >>>

There's one login server for all regions. Once logged in the game pings the gateway routers for the game servers and attempts to find the lowest ping. It then tries to connect us to the lowest ping servers, but if all the servers in that region are full or a specific map selected isn't available, then match making might bump us to a region farther away so it doesn't fail to connect.

If match making tries to bump me to a different region, I will get a "failed to connect" message because I have that regions IP address blocked and it can't connect to it. This doesn't happen very often for me, usually it connects me to the US East coast servers on the 1st try, but not always. If it fails I can usually pick a different map and it will find a US east server running the map that is not full.   <<<

anyway just thought i would try something tonight. i went to my ea account profile page and changed my country from uk to us and tried to play a game. now if the 1v1 was indeed P2P i would see no difference in the gameplay at all when i play another player from the uk. how wrong was i?

it was even worse than it usually is. choppy, laggy, delayed, unresponsive, call it what you will but the problem i have with this is that EA have previously said that when playing 1v1 we have no connection with any ea servers which cant be the case. i have just logged into ea servers using a us account and it plays really bad. even worse. if there is no connection then why the sudden degradation of gameplay?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »

I said before I am not a gamer but is it possible to share IP details and connect to each other manually?

dpd

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:41 PM »

no. unfortunately as soon as you put the disc in it signs you into the EA servers. then you can play the mode you wish. thinking back when i was playing this last week and offline, it was playing lovely and as soon as i sign in to play online the game lags on the menus even before i play a game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

anything