Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: my last hope - help needed  (Read 31276 times)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: my last hope - help needed
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »

Personally, I would start either at your (1) and work forward or your (9) and work backwards.

Now, have BritBrat and I have confused you even more  ???

Also don't be influenced by others saying they have the same problem unless you have actually used their set up. Even then it may not be caused by the same fault. You need to problem-solve with a totally unbiased mind and don't be tempted to go off-track.

Your connection is "A" rated with good ping rates so there shouldn't be a problem in terms of game play...throughput speed is less important than ping rate.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »

I was thinking 9 and backwards too.

Because I think 9 will be the problem.

If he can rule out 9 as not the problem the rest is easy.

Unless:

Does anyone else in the family use the computer/internet connection at the same time and maybe using bittorent and flooding the upload speed?
Just another thought.

10. Have you ever looked at MTU settings?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:42:21 PM by BritBrat »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

Unless:

Does anyone else in the family use the computer/internet connection at the same time and maybe using bittorent and flooding the upload speed?

But he said
i have no computers running at the same time and i have tried connecting my xbox staright to the modem.

dpd

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

hi again guys.

i thought i would start at number 1 as its always a good place to start. im not too sure if ive made any progress today or not. i started out by researching if anyone had experienced any problems using my tv with online gaming and the first thing that came up was page after page of different people experiencing lag on high definition tv's.  :'(

surely not? i had a look about and found this video on youtube which highlights the problem excellently even if the video isnt the greatest quality. if you forward to about 3 minutes in when the larger high definition tv is hooked up and press pause and look at the difference in the frames. theres 100ms straight away.  >>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvreeOk7PA <<<

firstly, im not assuming that this is my problem as ive basically gone backwards and forwards for months now. but one thing i will say is that im using a 42" goodmans hd ready tv. wasnt very expensive and i think it was about £400 from comet in january 2009. im not saying when these problems started for obvious reasons. in my house we dont own a crt television so i need to find someone who will borrow me one for a few hours. i will report back as soon as i find one.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »

Can you connect it to a PC monitor and test it?

Sorry about missing the part that you connected to router and there is no other users of the connection.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:01:30 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »

no the cable from the xbox is vga. its fine im well known for forgetting things.

i used to have an old tv in my loft but gave it to the rag man about 3 month ago.

dpd

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »

ok i borrowed a small flatscreen today. it was a 19" but no change. still very unresponsive. going to try a crt tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

after that stage if the problem persists i will move onto step 2. thats means borrowing an xbox from someone.......

dpd

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »

little update here.

had a busy little day today. a lad i work with said i could take my xbox to his and vice versa to test both our xbox's on eachothers connections. basically to cut a long story short, i tried my setup on his connection (he is with BT) and there was no change. he had a old fashioned black n white portable so we were able to test on that aswell.  :lol: i thought is it my xbox? we then brought his setup to my house. he has one of the new slim xbox 360's and it was still exactly the same. sluggish and unresponsive. so i can rule out a few things here. the console, the tv, the game disc, the controller.

im going to town tomorrow to buy another ethernet cable just in case. should only be a few quid. after that i only have the router itself before i am back to the connection. having already tried 3 routers and the settings and placing the xbox in dmz mode this is really puzzling me.

i mentioned earlier in the thread that im yet to find anyone who lives close or remotely close to me who doesnt have this issue with fifa.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

What makes you think you can rule the game out?

What you need is a location and hardware that works correctly it is no good testing bad with bad as all that will tell you is they are both bad.

Or are you saying friends system at his house is fine and no lag?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:18:07 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 10:20:35 PM »

What makes you think you can rule the game out?

What you need is a location and hardware that works correctly it is no good testing bad with bad as all that will tell you is they are both bad.

Or are you saying friends system at his house is fine and no lag?

no my friend also has this problem.

the trouble is i have thought about how many people i know who use online gaming, friends, family, friends who are on my xbox friends list and im yet to find a single person who doesnt have this problem. close friends and family - there are about 14 people i have asked and we all share the problem. do we all have faulty consoles, discs, routers, controllers? all i can do is test different setups to that i already have. im certainly not saying all the people in the UK have the problem but everyone i know does. is it a location problem? this is something that has always puzzled me because we all share the same problem but use entirely different setups. there is no common ground between us.

i have tried testing each step as you suggested forgetting all the other people i know have the problem, working solely on my setup. but no matter what i try i cant get any change.

something which ive been reading about last couple days is that of port traffic. when i do a speedtest or a ping test they always show up great results at all times of day and night. but im now aware that these testers use different ports to that of the online games i use. different games use different ports and all are different to that of the testers so basically i can do as many as these tests as i want but it wont show up the problem, if there is a problem with traffic congestion on the ports i need most.

anyway thats a conundrum for another day if i get that far.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »

Also don't be influenced by others saying they have the same problem unless you have actually used their set up. Even then it may not be caused by the same fault. You need to problem-solve with a totally unbiased mind and don't be tempted to go off-track.

You have been distracted from the advice I gave above by :-

i thought is it my xbox? we then brought his setup to my house. he has one of the new slim xbox 360's and it was still exactly the same. sluggish and unresponsive.

If you continue to "butterfly" between the various ideas that you believe are causing the problem then you will never find the cause and solution. Your friend's problem may not be caused by the same fault affecting your connection. By connecting his system to your connection may only be replicating the problem that he is experiencing.

Stay with the problem solving list that you posted.

dpd

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »

i am still working off my list guys.

i have tried another 2 tvs (step1)
i tried another xbox, controller and game disc on my connection yesterday. i used my friends setup. (step2,3,4)
i have just bought a new ethernet cable (£2.99)to see if thats the problem. (step5)

im just about to test so i will report back in a few minutes.

dpd

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »

ok still not going my way here. new ethernet hasnt worked...... tried for a couple of hours this afternoon but its still sluggish.

next step - router & settings.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

I think you have a hard one here.

But keep testing and keep it in mind as I have found in the past reading something not related to my problem has made me try something that fixed my problem.

Just keep an open mind.

Good luck.

dpd

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

been looking into my router settings this evening whilst listening to my beloved sunderland on the radio  :'(

anyway, i looked at the dmz option in my router and thought i should test that therecommended ports for fifa are open whilst the console is in the dmz. the ports are TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53 and TCP 53. now when i tested to see if they were open using PFportchecker they were not reachable, indicating they were not open despite being in the dmz.

i then tried to open these ports manually and retest. all of them were open apart from tcp 80 and despite many efforts top do so i cant get it open. i have looked to see what its use is but cant find any concrete information on it and also if it could be causing my problem.

id be grateful for any info from anyone.

regards david
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8