Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: my last hope - help needed  (Read 31290 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: my last hope - help needed
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »

I came to the conclusion it was a EA sports issue.

Do you have to set any ports in router to play the game are those ports being loged?

If so try turning it off.

Sorry, stab in the dark.

And another:
Faulty power supply to Xbox?

It seems strange some are OK and others not.  I would be looking for a comon factor, device age and model/Ser numbers, routers being used (I know you have tried a few) in other words think outside the box.  Maybe even EA product date.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:40:37 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »

hi again.

last year there was a thread created on the EA forums and its a hell of a read, 141 pages in fact, and everyone who had the problem would regularly post in there and we tried to find some common ground and link the problem. we failed. we thought it may have been an isp issue but we were all on different isp's, then routers, locations, broadband packages, xbox accounts, game discs, consoles etc and honestly we exhausted every possibilty with apparent link or common ground. i suppose if this were an issue with the game or the EA servers we would all have the problem but the fact that some have no problem with it at all sort of points the finger at our individual connections.

so thats how i ended up here as i have nothing else to try really. hopefully someone can spot a problem with the stats on the previous page or point me in the direction of the nearest bridge. :no:

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

Hi dpd,

I'm another non-gamer but sometimes, as BritBat says, "outside the box" does work.

Reading through the thread it seems the only item/component/service you haven't changed is the Xbox and/or the controller, I may have missed it but am I right ?

Also have you tried disconnecting every device including telephony from your system except the Xbox ?

dpd

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »

hi oranged and thanks for your input. i have tried a different xbox but not by choice. i had a faulty drive on my premium console but couldnt afford a new premium console so just bought an arcade and transfered the HDD. this was about 4 months ago. something i tried was taking my console to my partners house and the same thing happened  there aswell. last year i tried a new ethernet cable aswell but again no change, lag.

i think it is something to do with connection rather than equpiment. gaming used to be perfect but it felt like someone flicked a switch and thats it. wasnt a gradual thing but one day was fine, next day laggy.

i wonder if anyone knows about the network buffer measurements as mentioned on the previous page?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »

something i tried was taking my console to my partners house and the same thing happened  there as well.

Am I misunderstanding what you said ?

Does this not indicate that the console displays the same problem on a different connection ?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »

hi oranged and thanks for your input. i have tried a different xbox but not by choice. i had a faulty drive on my premium console but couldnt afford a new premium console so just bought an arcade and transfered the HDD.

Cough, I better not say any more :-)

But you could guess but it is maybe to late now.

Was it not in warenty? My Son took one back because of faulty drives as did 1000's of others but that was a few years ago now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Could the Xbox have got an update and that cuased the issue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_System_Software#Versions

Sorry O.T.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:59:44 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »

something i tried was taking my console to my partners house and the same thing happened  there as well.

Am I misunderstanding what you said ?

Does this not indicate that the console displays the same problem on a different connection ?

that xbox in question broke a while back. it was out of warranty so i bought a brand new one and just binned the old xbox. the one i currently have is only a few month old.  i have tried it on 2 connections. 1 was on fast broadband which was a very good connection. the current connection is virgin.

in this report of a netalyzer >>> http://pgg999.co.uk/dpd/ <<< which is from the previous page it states that my network buffer measurement is 740ms and having looked up more info on this apparently the ideal measurement is 500ms. do you guys think this couldbe a problem?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

in the last 12 months or so i have now had 3 different isp's and the problem has persisted with them all. the first 2 were o2 and fast but in a final attempt to 'fix' the problem i crossed over to virgins cable services on there 10mb package but again the same problem exists.

i have tried 3 different routers as i thought this could be the problem. i have tried a speedtouch 580 and the netgear dg834gt neither of which showed any change. i am now currently using a dlink which was supplied by virgin and generally have had no issues with the connection i have had since day 1.

my network buffer measurement is 740ms and having looked up more info on this apparently the ideal measurement is 500ms.

Surely the other 2 ISPs could not have the same network settings to cause the same problem especially as 2 were ADSL ?

You have tried 2 ADSL and 1 cable connection using 3 different routers so this indicates to me that either the console or it's components or their settings or the game software is the root cause.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »

^

Thats is what I think but how can you narrow it down to what is causing it.

Only way I can think is get an Xbox and game from someone who does not have the issue and try it on his connection, then if the test Xbox is OK it proves it is the Xbox or the game of the OP.

Then take OP game and put it into the test Xbox and if that is OK it must be the Xbox, if not try OP Xbox and friends game.

Are the controlers wireless?

I can't remember but if they are could it be the wirless signal being slow.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:57:17 PM by BritBrat »

dpd

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »

hi yes thats basically the story:

1st ISP was O2 ACCESS broadband. i used a speedtouch 580. thinking this was the problem i changed.
2nd ISP was fast broadband using a netgear dg834gt. no real improvment on the gaming side but no traffic shaping.
3RD isp is virgin. i thought maybe changing to cable services i would sort it at last. currently using a dlink DIR-615.

this is the second console i have tried and same problem exists. every one of my friends all have this aswell.

the thing that frustrates me more than anything is that i have gone backwards and forwards for months now and im no further forward to finding out why this problem exists, and not just for me. thinking about what oranged said in the previous post surely its not my connection. all 3 ISP's all having the same trouble and are unaware of it? just doesnt sound right does it.

ok guys, long shot here. lets just say its not my connection or my equipment. lets say it has something to do with the EA servers as its the only servers i have trouble with. i play many games like Call of Duty, Forza, Halo and have no problem or any lag to speak of at all but as soon as i play an EA title its always the same lag.  FIFA & battlefield are both EA titles and i actually sold battlefield because of this problem. would it be possible to find out the ip address of the EA european servers to ping or traceroute it and see if anything shows up? i dont know how i would do this but is there some sort of setting in my router which shows me who and where im connected to?

regards david

dpd

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »

^

Thats is what I think but how can you narrow it down to what is causing it.

Only way I can think is get an Xbox and game from someone who does not have the issue and try it on his connection, then if the test Xbox is OK it proves it is the Xbox or the game of the OP.

Then take OP game and put it into the test Xbox and if that is OK it must be the Xbox, if not try OP Xbox and friends game.

i dont know anyone who doesnt have this problem. there are 6 of us including me who all have this problemand we all live in the northeast even when we play each other it feels like we are 5oo miles from each other but in reality its only 5 . 3 of my friends are on bt, 1 on aol and another with talk talk. surely all of us dont have dodgy equipment and connections?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »

So the comon factor is the game or hardware.

I still think it is the game but how can you rule out the hardware.

It can't be the ISP connection.

Anyone going on holiday or UNI and could test the game and hardware in another location?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:47:19 PM by BritBrat »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:45 AM »

ok guys, long shot here. lets just say its not my connection or my equipment. lets say it has something to do with the EA servers as its the only servers i have trouble with. i play many games like Call of Duty, Forza, Halo and have no problem or any lag to speak of at all but as soon as i play an EA title its always the same lag.  FIFA & battlefield are both EA titles and i actually sold battlefield because of this problem. would it be possible to find out the ip address of the EA european servers to ping or traceroute it and see if anything shows up?

This isn't meant to be unhelpful or a criticism, more like advice.

You're still tending to guess what the problem might be instead of devising a problem solving plan.

If you problem solve like this then it will takes weeks/months (actually it already has taken months) to find the solution because you're "butterflying" from one idea to the next.

dpd

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »

i absolutely agree with you 100% and thankyou for the advice.

i think the best way forward is to follow you advice and create a list of potential reasons why i have this problem and eliminate the potential cause one by one.

1. connection from xbox to tv.
2. xbox 360 console.
3. xbox 360 controller and xbox HDD.
4. game disc.
5. connection from xbox to router.
6. router itself.
7. router settings.
8. connection to internet.
9. connection to EA servers.

ok its late now but i will begin eliminating these one by one tomorrow. can you think of anything i have missed off the list which could be important?

and also thanks for the continued help
regards david

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

I would start with what you think it would be and not in any specific order.

Can you try out these games in a shop before you buy?

If you can it would be interesting to see how it tests out and maybe take your disc (if you have to use a disc) with you and ask them to swap it over and test again.

Can you run the games from hard drive ruling out DVD/CD rom drive problems?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8