Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Multiple DMZ  (Read 7979 times)

AWB70

Multiple DMZ
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

I am setting up my home network again with a BT 2700HGV version 6 firmware on, it's a lot different to my old linksys and just want to check some things out.

Firstly, using the pinholes DMZ zone section can I put multiple devices into the DMZ or will that cause conflicts? On my network I have a PC hard wired which needs standard protection but open routes for P2P applications (I can set this up not a problem), a laptop that needs standard protection, 2 Ps3's and a Wii.

One ps3 is my gaming console(hard wired) and the other I use as  a media centre in the living room(wireless). On my old router which only had 1 DMZ I had to DMZ the gaming one, and manually add ports for the wii and other ps3.

Easiest way here would just be static ip them all and DMZ all three consoles  :-\ or will this cause problems?

BTW if I have mac ip assigning from the router is there any reason to manual enter the ip settings on all my devices or just get them auto? It seems like I'm setting them all up manually but the router is going to do that anyway. I never had that on my old router it would only allow or deny access to mac addresses but not assign ip's to them.

Any help appreciated  :)

AWB70

Re: Multiple DMZ
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

Ok I think I have established the multiple DMZ in not happening. What would happen if I were to DMZ one ps3 and forward the PSN ports to the other if they were both switched on at the same time? Another quick question, if I have the router assigning ip addresses to mac addresses should I have each item in the network manually taking IP's or auto?

I also have a static ip so should the router be set for that or auto from the sip?

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »

Sorry that you didn't get any reply before, but I've got no experience of using a DMZ, so I don't think I can help with the specific questions. But what occurs to me is, why do you want a DMZ at all? Can't you achieve what you want in a much safer way, just by forwarding the appropriate ports?
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »

I am not sure you can do that unless the router has an option to set multiple IP's in one DMZ setting.

I agree with Roseway why not set up port forward in router to each IP/Port configuration.

Only seems to allow one in Netgear DG834GT

But as you are opening all ports it would not be a very safe practice.

First of all set static IP's on all computers and they have to all be a different number.

192.168.*.20 = PS3
192.168.*.25 = Wii
192.168.*.30 = Laptop

Then set up Services for each application Port.

Then set up router rules using the application port service you just made and forward it to the IP of the device that will be using it.

EXAMPLE:
PS3 Battlefield Bad Company
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/BT2700HG-V/PS3_Battlefield_Bad_Company.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:03:31 PM by BritBrat »

AWB70

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »

Sorry that you didn't get any reply before,

NP I appreciate any help I can get  :)

Can't you achieve what you want in a much safer way, just by forwarding the appropriate ports

I probably could, the reason I DMZ'd my gaming PS3 is because on my old router I had a limited number of ports I could forward, I think there was something like 16 or so. AFAIK there are no security threats to the PS3 so find it easier if it's just dropped in the DMZ for easiness. Should I hear of any thing malicious I will go back to forwarding. Oddly last night after having a go at setting up all the static i.p's my PS3 had a nat type 1 for the first time ever even though I DMZ'd it on my old router. That's a bonus nat 1 is fully open usually associated with a modem, nat 2 is behind a router but the correct ports open which is still good and nat 3 firewalled not good.

I managed to get everything I had working and on static i.ps fingers crossed except my laptop on wireless but due to the ease of other wireless devices I connected I think this is an issue with the laptop rather than the router settings.

I looked into multiple DMZ a bit more and found that it can be done but only if you have another static ip from your isp. I guess what I will have to do is just manually forward ports for each game on the PS3 that's not in the DMZ, still not sure if things will conflict if both are on at the same time, I'm guessing though the router will know how to deal with the traffic  :-\ I'm sure this isn't the first case of two things on the same network using the same ports   :)

One worry I have with V6 firmware is I can't see the ability to back up my router config's  :o I hope I don't have to go through all this again any time soon  :no: 

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »

AWB - how did you get NAT type 1?? I've put my ps3 into DMZ but still get NAT type failure on the network test ?!?!?!?!?
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

AWB70

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »

I assume you have set the PS3 with a static ip? There are differing ways of going about it depending on your router. Have you checked for yours on portforward.com? You will need to make sure the PS3 has the same ip every time.
On my BT2700 I get the router to issue certain ip's to the Mac addresses of each item. On my old linksys one I had to manually enter the ip to give out on the router then manually set the PS3 to get the IP. It depends on what router you have.

In the PS3 settings do manual settings instead of auto and check that the ip it's taking when connected is the same as the one you have in the DMZ on the router. If it is and you still get network issues onyl thing I can think of is reboot the router, maybe the DMZ won't take effect until it restarts.

Are you passing all other connection tests?

To be fair if you get a nat type 2 your happy, I had my ps3 dmz'd in the old linksys and only got a type 2 but on this one it's type 1 not sure why, it's a bit of a freak of nature.

Give me a shout with your router type and I'll see if I can help further.