Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it REIN?  (Read 1946 times)

Slam

• Just arrived
Is it REIN?
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »

Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me if the screenshot (attached) is a REIN issue? I've got the line capped at 2meg as it's the only way to get a stable connection. It syncs at 8 meg without the cap. I'm guessing it is and I'm guessing BT will try to fob me off.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Is it REIN?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »

Those first four dips in the noise margin are remarkably similar, and suggest some sort of repetitive electrical interference (although not impulse noise as such). The last dip looks more like a situation where Routerstats failed to collect a sample because the router was busy at the time, and not a genuine noise spike.

Have you tried the AM radio trick to detect electrical interference? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
  Eric

Slam

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »

hey, thanks for replying.

I haven't tried the radio trick as I'm not at the location that's having the issue. The connection died completely this morning, around the time of the massive spike.

On the 2wire log, I see this:

Uncanceled Echo: 12.3 dB Suspicious - check phone filters and alarm

Training history:
ERR_INCONSISTENT_SIGNAL

It's a brand new telphone line, the router is plugged directly into the master socket. Filter and telephone cable has been changed.

The problem seems particulary bad between 8-9, lunchtime and a few spikes through the day.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Hi Slam,

It's worth trying the test socket within the master socket if there are any extension sockets.

Also try the 17070 option 2 quiet line test and then the option 1 ringback with somebody watching the routerstats trace.

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »

hi
What router are you using ?. How long has this been a problem ?

Have you tried to switch everything off in your house  to be sure its not something on your property causing these spikes

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything