Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: no sync with voyager 2100  (Read 19062 times)

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
Re: no sync with voyager 2100
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 05:56:51 PM »

Hi There,

I've just been having a look into this for you, something is wrong and I can't quite figure out where.
Looking at your account from our side this shows as a MaxDSL connection with a current profile of 500 (the lowest our one will go to)
From BT Wholesale it shows a MaxDSL connection with a 135 profile, so that matches with our 500.
Now the odd part, as Kitz says the upstream speed of 288 is a fixed speed product upstream and not MaxDSL, for the life of me I can't find anywhere in the BT systems showing your line as fixed profile.
I've gone back a while on the delta reports, did you make any changes to your telephone line, add anything that may produce an electrical signal or similar around the 11th August? I ask this because this is when the speeds on the delta report plummeted from 2000 down to 135.

The interleaving order being rejected is also odd, this leads me to believe that one BT system somewhere hidden in the depths has you on a fixed rate product.

I'm just doing a couple of line tests, hopefully it will tell me what the provisioned product is believed to be. I've got a feeling it will be a misconfig on the BT side and when they investigate the fault it should be picked up (hopefully), it shouldn't need an engineer's visit so if one is requested just PM me on here and I'll have a look what I can do.
Chris Parr
Plusnet Digital Care Lead
Service Status : RSS : Email

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »

BINGO

Max/Max Premium 2M Capped C (IPHMDM)

Looks like BT have identified your line as a chronic flapper, due to this the throughput has been reduced down to a 2Mb maximum, I'll add some notes on the fault we currently have open to ask for this to be removed.
Chris Parr

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »

>> BT have identified your line as a chronic flapper.

Thanks for that chris :)  - Now things are beginning to make sense

That would explain why the problem taking so long to get the IP profile back up.. and why at times its still showing at 135 eg.

The reason why the 2100 is playing up at times also now makes sense..  the 105 is good at obtaining a sync when a lot of other routers cant. 

The attenuation bouncing all over the place re your first post (now that we know it isnt your router) means there is something weird going on with the phyical condition of the line.

I did look at your stats and wonder why the large difference between the upstream and downstream atten.. but got distracted by the 2272 figure.

It would appear that even with the  Capped C marker that BT have put on it to try and stabilise.. it looks like its still having problems at times..  and that there will be times when the SNR Margin is just too low for the 2100 to be able to sync.

Although the BT DLM has tried to correct this automatically, this also would appear to have failed and the line still has a fault on it somewhere.

Therefore as chris says something happened on the 11th of Aug which has messed up your line.  Hopefully the engineer can find out what it is.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jack Hackett

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »

Hi folks,

I've gone back a while on the delta reports, did you make any changes to your telephone line, add anything that may produce an electrical signal or similar around the 11th August? I ask this because this is when the speeds on the delta report plummeted from 2000 down to 135.

Chris, nothing added to phone line, no equipment added to the surge protected sockets that the PC and peripherals use, including telephony lines, however, me and her-in-doors have been chatting and she reminds me that one afternoon around that date in Aug our ever helpful neighbour's son was doing our garden when he sliced through the mower's power cable which 'tripped' the sockets on the main consumer board.

Would that be it?
Are we getting somewhere?

Looks like BT have identified your line as a chronic flapper
Sounds interesting.... :) can you define a chronic flapper please? (it sounds just like her-in-doors :D )

Sim

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:49:02 PM by Jack Hackett »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

It is possible.
Something may well have upset the power system and its now giving out electrical interference.

I know when I had a fuse blow at xmas even when the fuse was replaced my adsl went on a downward spiral.  It wasn't until the light switch which had caused the fuse to blow in the first place was re-wired that things settled back down to normal.

mr_chris will probably recall more about that because I wont touch anything electrical & it was him that came to my rescue and re-wired the light switch. I'll put a new fuse in but thats about my limit when it comes to electricity.

>> can you define a chronic flapper please?

A line that consistently syncs between a high and a low speed and wont stabilise.  ie the sync speed "flaps around".

lol hope your mrs isnt reading what you said :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Jack Hackett

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »

>> hope your mrs isnt reading what you said

She saw me type it  ....... <thump> anyone got some steak and some ice to spare

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 11:41:36 PM »

heh... one bucket of ice coming right up.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »

I know when I had a fuse blow at xmas even when the fuse was replaced my adsl went on a downward spiral.  It wasn't until the light switch which had caused the fuse to blow in the first place was re-wired that things settled back down to normal.

mr_chris will probably recall more about that

I can recall, but not much more than what you've already said, and I certainly didn't understand what was going on! Something odd. And given your close proximity to the exchange getting a sync of anything less than 8Mb is unheard of, let alone the ~5Mb you had for a short time, without some (relatively) weird interference causing it.

Just seen your other post tonight (not wanting to take the thread off topic) but it doesn't look like you're having much luck at the moment either :(
Chris

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 10:26:48 AM »

Looks like we have hit a slight stumbling block here, have you called your telephone provider and asked them to investigate a fault?
The fault we raised has been rejected back because there is apparently an open PSTN fault, you need to get your voice provider to fix or close that fault before we can progress from here.

15 - REJECTION - Records show that there is currently an open PSTN line fault. Your customer needs to resolve this issue with their telephony provider. Until this has been rectified we cannot accept any faults.
Chris Parr

Jack Hackett

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »

Hi Chris,

Looks like we have hit a slight stumbling block here, have you called your telephone provider and asked them to investigate a fault?

No I havent reported any fault to my voice provider

The fault we raised has been rejected back because there is apparently an open PSTN fault, you need to get your voice provider to fix or close that fault before we can progress from here.

What is PSTN?  It's news to me, as I mentioned I have NOT reported any fault with my voice provider.
I dont pay BT for my calls I use OneTel (now TalkTalk) for my call charges, however I do still pay line rental to BT, so I'll get on to BT then.
Anything in particular I should be mentioning and asking them, other than the PSTN fault?

Regards
Simon
aka Jack Hackett
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:51:18 PM by Jack Hackett »

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

It will actually be your voice provider (onetel/TalkTalk), ask them to close off any open faults they may have on your line. PSTN = public switched telephone network, basically the voice side of the line.
Chris Parr

Jack Hackett

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »

Chris,

I have just come off the phone after talking to BT Faults and TalkTalk.

BT = No faults open, no faults reported or showing on screen, 'Clean bill of health'

TalkTalk (OneTel) = No faults open, no faults reported or showing on screen, 'everything is working ok'.

Now what??

Sim

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

I'll reject the fault back to BT again with those comments on. We'll get to the bottom of this by hook or by crook.
Chris Parr

Jack Hackett

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »

This is becoming most interesting and perplexing {I can hear the Twilight Zone music playing}

Chris,
I'm still monitoring 'My Questions' and shall respond to anything there, and here of too of course, as I'm sure the other folks here would be interested to follow the progress of this, now seemingly very strange, problem.

Sim

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:41 PM »

The only update you should have on the ticket is my reponse rejecting the clear back to BT
Chris Parr
Pages: 1 [2] 3