Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: ADSL24 / BT Wholesale FTTC Map  (Read 66975 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL24 / BT Wholesale FTTC Map
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »

I'm not involved with Fibre Cab installation, but (having just read the last page of this thread) may be able to add a little something. The pictures that are posted above, some are original PCP' some are Fibre (DSLAM) PCP's. The point I want to get over is that when they do FTTC in your area, the existing PCP will remain where it is, the new Fibre PCP will be situated within 100 mts of the existing PCP. point being, you may not even realise where the new PCP is sited.

Regarding Fibre Joints/Cables Walter .........  the glass is admittedly fragile but the actual 'cable' its carried in is quite hardy. The Joint in that picture strapped to the cable bearers in the joint-box, can be as easily lifted out and worked on as a copper/ali joint would.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2011, 04:18:30 PM »

Sorry about pic quality. The attachemt size limit does not make for good pics. It was cold and I did not want to fall in and cut off a load of folks. And I'd've missed my bus;)

I assumed also that the three cables top of pics are the standard ones.

@raz. I'll find the new PCP no matter how well hidden.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

Hi Raz,

Two minor points:-

It would not surprise me if BT invent a new name for a FTTC as it is not really a Primary Connection Point, nor a Secondary one.
A twisted pair from the consumer's house stays as usual connected into the PCP but then a pair in the new link cable takes it into the FTTC. If it is a SMPF service a second pair in the link cable will return to the PCP and thence to the exchange.
I am only aware of Rutland's FTTC service where they provide both phone and broadband with a FMPF so they save on pairs in the link cable which can be up to 100 pair at a mere cost of £765.32 ex VAT installation and £42.14 p.a. rental.

Many of BT's PCPs are already quite full so they often "re-sleeve" a PCP to provide sufficient space for the link cable terminations.
The PCP may then look new, but it still contains all the old cables.
You can usually tell a FTTC as it has ventilation slots and you may see another trench for the electricity cable.
The PCP is still a "passive" device so doesn't contain electrical power - do I hear RazPag saying "thank goodness" ?

The picture in the link shows a re-sleeved PCP to the right and a non-BT FTTC to the left. Its ventilation slots are on the far end.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49270005

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

You'll not get any arguement from me there, Walter.

Speaking as a residential EU though, I'm not even slightly interested in having 'Voice over IP', therefore FTTC for DSL provision is near enough the mark to satisfy me.

By "Re-sleeving" I assume you mean 'Re-shelling' ?? which does indeed happen when the original cables within the PCP have reached saturation, and we need to upgrade by fitting more cables. Usually this will mean fitting a new shell (generally sheet-metal or Fibreglass) as there isn't enough space to terminate the new cables in the older cast-iron shells. The same 're-shelling' scenario's also happen when the PCP has been smashed up via a car-crash etc., or as once happened in my home town only last year, by being dessimated by some nutter with a sledge-hammer.

PS .... the power side of the new DSLAM Cabinets (do you see what I did there Walter  ;D), are to be maintained by our own Power-Maintenance engineers I'm led to believe. This was the group I was on when I first started at BT all those years ago, and it's gonna be a shock for them having to work outside in our inclement weather. Not really interesting, just a dig at some of my former work-mates.  :lol:

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »

On the subject of FTTC, does anyone know if it's more likely for BT (Wholesale) to enable an exchange that has already been unbundled as opposed to a Market 1 exchange i.e. where the incumbent operator (BT Wholesale) is the only provider of broadband services ?

My exchange has been unbundled by a few ISP's and serves aprox 14,313 residential premises and 502 non-residential premises.

I'm really hoping that my exchange will get upgraded to FTTC or 4 Mbps is all I am ever going to be able to get unless I move house  :(
Mike

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »

Hi Mike,

Have you been here - even though, to my knowledge, there's no list of the actual PCPs to be enabled.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/exchange_plan

EDIT This link should provide a download of the PDF document after you enable the download.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:19:19 AM by waltergmw »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »

It's just an empty page? :
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html>

Cheers,
Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

@ geep.......ok for me, gives the option to open/download the PDF

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »

Worked for me.

Try right click and save target As:
openreach.co.uk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:53:41 AM by BritBrat »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

Ta everybody. Found it now - and deleted the 10 copies in my Download Folder. On Linux/Firefox it downloaded silently.
Cheers,
Peter

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

Hi Mike,

Have you been here - even though, to my knowledge, there's no list of the actual PCPs to be enabled.

EDIT This link should provide a download of the PDF document after you enable the download.

Kind regards,
Walter
Thanks for the link although my exchange isn't mentioned so does this mean that I am unlikely to ever get FTTC ?
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

I think it means that it's not currently in the plan (my exchange isn't there either) so we might be lucky and get it one day, but I'll probably turn my toes up before it happens. :(
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

I think it means that it's not currently in the plan (my exchange isn't there either) so we might be lucky and get it one day, but I'll probably turn my toes up before it happens. :(
If that's true then it's surprising in my case as my exchange isn't small so it should be feasible  :-\

I would have expected small exchanges to be excluded due to lack of ROI
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »

Mine isn't on the list either(Attercliffe) :'(

Quite a few exchanges in Sheffield will be up and running next month and they have been laying cables along side the dual carriageway at the entrance to our estate,so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Zoe

• Reg Member
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »

Hi

My... Exchange & Cab Went Live On 31st December 2010  :D 8)    But... Can't Afford FTTC Just Yet  :no: :'(

Talk Talk - Faster Fibre: 38/10
Estimated Download Speed 39Mbps to 40Mbps.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed 35Mbps
Actual Sync Speed 31Mbps Down & 8Mbps Up
Modem/Router: Netgear D6400
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10