Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Warranty Question  (Read 4183 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Warranty Question
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »

Hi all,

As most of you know I have just received a new replacement Logitech keyboard and mouse as my old mouse was faulty.I was informed (which surprised me) that my old keyboard and mouse was still under warranty.It was purchased as an upgrade with my Dell pc in April 2007.
Logitech said the would send me a replacement but as my old one was no longer being made I agreed to a substitute being send.

I asked what is the length of the warranty and was told 3 years.They said this is from the date of my original purchase,not the replacement they sent.
This doesn't sound right to me?

Surely as I have accepted a totally different model then the warranty should start from the date that was sent,not the date the original was received. :-\

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Warranty Question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »

When you accepted the replacement items....you did not buy them and you did not buy a new warranty or an extension to the existing one.
You were offered replacements under the terms of the original warranty....and you accepted them and, therefor, the terms of that original warranty.

As there has been no new contract of sale, there will be no new warranty.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »

Thanks TD. :)

Tbh I was gob smacked when they said the original was still under warranty.I Had told them the date it was purchased,which was over their 3 year warranty period.

As I have said the one the sent me 26th Aug ,the mouse scroll wheel started grating(still usable though).They then sent me another complete set which I received yesterday.So I have 2 new workable sets,even though the mouse on one of them is a bit faulty.

These are the replies that Logitech support have just sent me.

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your reply.

No, the date the warranty starts in your case is the date of purchase of your first device, not the one you got from us as a replacement.

I hope this answers your query.

And the last one

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you that this is unusual, however that is the company policy. In case you do have a problem with the device and contact us again, we will review the problem on individual basis in order to determine whether the problem is qualified for warranty or not.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:02:03 AM by UncleUB »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »

Also remember that under the Sale of Goods Act, retailers are responsible for faulty goods (that are not 'of satisfactory quality') for up to six years after you bought them.

For example, you would expect a £100 item to last longer than 12 months, but you wouldn't necessarily expect repair/replacement if a £20 item broke down in this period.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/shops-responsibility/

So the 3 year warranty is only part of the retailer's responsibility.