Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problems With A Network Printer Running From A Linux Machine.  (Read 4536 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Problems With A Network Printer Running From A Linux Machine.
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »

I have one machine on my network that does not want to print properly as all other machines do print ok.

I have a 'HP Photosmart C4580 all in one printer / scanner' and is set up to be a network printer / scanner.

On the problem computer with PCLinuxOS 2010.2  2.6.32.12-pclos1.bfs installed with all updates.

Using the HP manager or viewing the printer details in a web browser all seem ok.

Trying to print from a open office write doc instead of the document I get at the top of the printed page

"%!PS-Adobe-3.0 %% BoundingBox: (atend) %%Creator: (Openoffice.org 3.2) %%For (my name)"

Next tying to print from a web page (a google map) I get this one line and no map printed.

"%!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%Creator cairo 1.6.4 (http://cairographics.org) %%creationDate: T"

Anyone any idea what to try next please.
I have tried reinstalling all the 'hplip' and 'cups' packages with no improvement.
Have also noticed HP print manager seems to crash and you cannot have this one machine running while I use other computers to send print jobs .
Something is corrupted somewhere but I'm not sure where to look.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Problems With A Network Printer Running From A Linux Machine.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »

I don't know the answer (it's a bit late at night for me :) ) but clearly what's happening is that the printer is receiving raw postscript data instead of data in its own format. So I guess that the PC in question is sending the raw data instead of passing it through the appropriate printer driver.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »

I don't know the answer (it's a bit late at night for me :) ) but clearly what's happening is that the printer is receiving raw postscript data instead of data in its own format. So I guess that the PC in question is sending the raw data instead of passing it through the appropriate printer driver.

Having tried reinstalling all the 'hplip' and 'cups' packages with no improvement, would you know what other drivers it will use ?. or where to look?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »

Have a look here:

How Do I Configure HP PhotoSmart C4580 Scanner

it also includes information on setting up the printer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:16:49 PM by Mick »
Regards,
Mick

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:21:43 PM »

Have a look here:

[urlhttps://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/45556]How Do I Configure HP PhotoSmart C4580 Scanner[/url]

it also includes information on setting up the printer.

There was something corrupted in that one computer (maybe it was a bad burn ?) so I re-installed with PCLinuxOS Minime and set up network printing / scanning ok . ;)