Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: MsMpEng.exe ???  (Read 20387 times)

scottiesmum

Re: MsMpEng.exe ???
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »

I've done a search for Launcher.exe to see if I could trace something  :'(   and the only entry that refers to Launcher.exe is connected to Orange    !!! which is my ISP  (used to be Wanadoo .. all France Telecom)

.....   Or is that something completely different ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »

Launcher.exe............ok lets put that aside for the moment, it may be legit. Will investigate that further.
You security prog. has given a clean bill of health so it possibly nothing to worry about.

RAM...........you have a most peculiar ram setup installed. 1300ks hmmm. As has been said, RAM comes in increments of 516ks so 1300 does not add up. Perhaps one of the ram modules is faulty.
A new matched set of modules giving 2gb. can be had for about £35 upwards depending on the type required by the motherboard, and is a doddle to install.
That might be worth considering.........your system is creaking at the seams as far as resources go........1300 ram installed, 50 processes and 728k of ram just to keep the system going.........leaving only 547 to play with. Open up Firefox with two or three open tabs and bang goes another 200/250 and you are beginning to get to the "out of resources" stage.
A ram upgrade is recommended.........going up to 2Gb installed will instantly give 700k more to play with and solve the problem. Or, use a lighter browser and/or av prog.

I bet you wished you had never asked the question  ;D 

Will be back........and don't worry too much, the system has been coping for a while as it is and the error report you had was a rarity, a one off due to the circumstances of multi-tasking at that time. But more ram would offer peace of mind.

Off to find out more about launcher.exe  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

:'(  wow TD   ....   I think I'll go back to pen, paper and encyclopaedias  ;D

Thank you for all that information  ...  as I've said previously, I'm confused at the RAM size because I had a 2 GB upgrade  a while ago .. and I have total confidence in my computer lady, so I know she will have installed it ...  however .. I will go and see her to arrange another lot  !   

I do tend to have a lot of tabs open at the same time in FF  ....  sometimes without realising  just how many !!   So in the meantime I shall limit that.  The system runs along very quickly; downloads, not that I do a lot, are extremely quick  ...one thing that does occur to me is the VM pop up only seems to have reared up since the Bing installation  ...  it has now been deleted ! 
I've considered Opera, following the recommendations on here, and spent several hours last evening  looking  at it  ...    but to be honest at the moment I think I prefer to stick with FF.

:flower:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »

Some interesting reading here about launcher.exe.Legal process or spyware?.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=267518

As  regards RAM...Your system is showing 1250/1300GB of RAM......This does sound a strange amount?

Ram Modules are never exactly 500MB/1GB/2GB......usually 512MB/1024GB/2048GB.

Not sure in XP,but the device manager in Vista gives you how much RAM etc your system has installed.

scottiesmum

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

I have just remembered I have a little programme that I haven't used for ages ...  It's called RAM Idle  I've just fired it up ...it tells you how much  free RAM you have  ... it shows in the task bar and when I open or close something it changes.   At the moment I have Firefox open with  5 tabs,  one  which is the  BBC  through which  I have the radio playing ....Outlook email programme is also open. 

According to the RAM Idle box  .. at this very moment  ...  it is showing    :  Free RAM   479 MB  with CPU Usage of 33%  ...  I don't know how relevant this is  .... 

Thanks for that Unc..  I think a bit more mutton is on the menu  ...  when we get back   ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »

A bit more ooomph would not go wrong.

However, forget that for the mo.......get rootling, tootling and footling and enjoy your trip.....hope you have a great time.... :thumbs:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »

A bit more ooomph would not go wrong.

However, forget that for the mo.......get rootling, tootling and footling and enjoy your trip.....hope you have a great time.... :thumbs:

Ditto

Have  great time Kate.  :flower:

And when you get back get a ram upgrade and your computer will be skipping along (Image of ram skipping along in Kates computer)

scottiesmum

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »

:lol:   

Merci beaucoup   !

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »

As  regards RAM...Your system is showing 1250/1300GB of RAM......This does sound a strange amount?

You're forgetting 256MB which would easily explain the memory installed. A 1GB stick with a 256MB stick will indeed show around 1300MB

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »

You're forgetting 256MB which would easily explain the memory installed. A 1GB stick with a 256MB stick will indeed show around 1300MB

I did  :-[

But as memory has to be installed in pairs that would probably mean 2 x 512mb and 2 x 128mb ram modules.Usually memory slots are in two pairs.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 07:23:49 AM »

Memory slots do come in pairs, but it is not necessary to have both slots filled...........one 1Gb module is as effective as 2x 512k

But, the machine in question is running XP and as far as I can remember has never run an OS earlier than that.
As an XP machine it would not originally come with only 256k.........you needed 512 minimum to run XP

So, from that basis what about an upgrade.? To reach 1300 would require a 512 module plus a 256 module on top of the original 516, which is a very odd way to upgrade.

But if the upgrade was the original 512 plus a new 512 or even a 1Gb...............why only show 1300 installed.

It is odd, and I still wonder if there is a faulty module in there.  ??? 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »

I would be pleased to make an expenses-paid trip to the south of France to sort it out for Kate. :angel:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »

I would be pleased to make an expenses-paid trip to the south of France to sort it out for Kate. :angel:

;D

Even a computer wuss like me has installed ram before,well I instructed Sue what to do  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 07:43:11 AM »

Hmmm...........crafty move.......I wonder if she keeps the wine cellar locked up.. :D

>>Even a computer wuss like me has installed ram before,<<  :thumbs:
>>well I instructed Sue what to do<<  :-X

;D

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »

A couple of things to add:

XP will run with as little as 64MB of memory (XP System Requirements)

Memory does not necessarily need to be installed in pairs. A perfect example is my motherboard which has only 2 memory slots. Up until recently I was using a 1GB stick along with a 512MB stick.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4