Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: MsMpEng.exe ???  (Read 20389 times)

scottiesmum

MsMpEng.exe ???
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »

Recently I've been getting a pop up telling  me my 'virtual memory is too low'   ..   After investigation into what this pop up meant, I've had a look at Task Manager and see that the above MsMpEng.exe listed, under the VM size it is the second highest, Firefox being the highest.   On further investigation I understand that MsMpEng.exe is connected to Windows Defender.   I deleted Windows Defender a long, long time ago so I'm confused as to why this entry still shows ...and wonder if this VM size is causing the VM message to appear.  Can I just right click on the MsMpEng.exe entry and End Process or will this cause problems  ?

I know the above sounds like I might know what I'm talking about  :'(  but could replies be simple please  :D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: MsMpEng.exe ???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »

It's also part of Microsoft Security Essentials if you're using that.
What version of Windows?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »

Hi Kate

I have Windows Defender running,but can't see the entry you have posted.I am using Windows Vista .

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »

Thank you for the replies. 

I use Windows  XP  SP3 ..... 

AND  .....  I do use Microsoft Essentials, so  obviously that's why it's there ..    so I shall leave it there ... thank you for that HP.

Sorry I can't tell you where it might be listed on Vista Unc,   but on my Task Manager under Processes,   I then click on VM Size and it lists each process and the size of the VM in order.

I'm wondering if I expect my machine to do too much   .... I do tend to have quite a few things open at the same time,  perhaps it can't multi- task like me   ;D   it must be male  >:D

Thank you again   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »

Hi Kate,

what processor do you have ,and how much memory?

I have a pentium dual core 2.13 and 2GB ram.

If you have 1GB or under I would consider an upgrade.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

Well  .... apparently    ;D

AMD SempronTm Processor 2500 + 1.40 GHz 1.25 GB  RAM     is that good   ???   ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »

Erm............. :no: ,especially for a 'multi-tasker' like yourself. ;D

Not too bad,but I think you would benefit from a ram upgrade,not too expensive and one of the easier computer upgrades.

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

As long as it doesn't interfere with the shoppy/lunchy budget   :D  ... I shall have a word with 'my lady'    ...thanks Unc   :flower:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »

Just out of interest, how many processes do you have running in Taskmanager..........if you wanted to post a screenshot of the processes tab of that.

It may well be possible to prune some out and thus give you back some RAM

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »

usually a motherboard has 4 memory slots,and usually has to be upgraded in pairs....2x 512MB,2x1GB,4 x512MB,4 x 1GB,or say 2x1GB and 2x 512MB,you get the picture.Each pair must be a matching pair

Not sure how you managed to 1.25GB. :-\

And depending on your motherboard/system there will be a maximum you can upgrade to.

I'm sure someone will contradict this,but it is not far off the mark  :)

Have a read here,

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »

Unc, I'm certain  ( 99.99%  ) .....   that I have more than 1.25 GB because I had an upgrade a while ago .....  but I don't know where to look other than System ::)

Thank you TD    :) .....   here is screen-shot :

PS..   The Around the World thing is something I just had running at the time of the screen-shot ..  not something that is on all the time :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:18:57 PM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

Thanks for the screenie, scottiesmum.

You have a huge number of processes going on (54) and I'm sure that a lot can be switched off without causing harm.........as a comparison, my XP system runs with only 29 running.

It will take me a bit of time to sort out those that can be stopped safely....will be back.

In the short term, and if I were you, I might be considering a change of browser.......your firefox and it's associated plug-in container .exe is gobbling 226.068 of ram and added to that you have msnwimext.exe taking another 47.112 just to put either an msn or a Bing toolbar into your browser.

That's 273 ms of ram just to run Firefox......my wee Opera is currently using 66 ms.

Will run through the others and be back.  :)

edit to add.....to clarify how much ram is installed go to your "My Computer" icon on the desktop, right-click and select the properties tab.... the amount of installed ram is shown towards the bottom right.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:42:10 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »

Just to add my twopenneth

I have just checked task manager using Firefox.........315,472k memory,

then closed and opened Opera..........85,732k memory,so a big difference.

Edit...just checked Opera again and now showing 49.424k.

The next highest thing I have running is just over 18000k

I have 30 items running in task manager.

2nd edit........Opera now showing 191,000k  ???
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:01:40 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »

A further edit.....by the way, my Avast with all shield running is currently using 27ms of ram...nice and light.

How did you uninstall Windows Defender and what av are you running..there is no evidence in your processes of any other antivirus prog.....( do I not recall that you have Avira )

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »

A further edit.....by the way, my Avast with all shield running is currently using 27ms of ram...nice and light.

How did you uninstall Windows Defender and what av are you running..there is no evidence in your processes of any other antivirus prog.....( do I not recall that you have Avira )

Thank you for the replies. 

I use Windows  XP  SP3 ..... 

AND  .....  I do use Microsoft Essentials, so  obviously that's why it's there ..    so I shall leave it there .

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything