Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Adobe Reader Problem  (Read 5089 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Adobe Reader Problem
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »

I got a a Adobe icon in the system tray to update this morning which I clicked on,all was going well when the update stopped and my computer froze.I had to turn it off by the power button

When I switched back on there was no Adobe Reader in the ad/remove programmes(using Vista) and the Adobe desk top short cut is just a blank piece of paper instead of the usual red Adobe short cut.

I looked in the programme files and Adobe is there and was updated today 8th Oct.

I have also successfully downloaded a bill that requires Adobe Reader,so its working ok,it just seems as though something is missing.

I was using version 9.3.4,would it be ok to just download the latest version from filehippo(9.4.0)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Adobe Reader Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »

First thing to try, unkyUb, is to go back into your program files and open the Adobe Reader folder. Is there a program icon in there....if so, right click on that and in the dialogue that opens, select "copy to desktop...create shortcut".

That should put the icon on the desktop and a double click on that should open the prog.

Does that work ?

If not, you could download a new installer from filehippo, but uninstall the existing prog. before installing the new.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »

Hi TD,

Managed to create a desk top short cut......"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

I am just wondering if the last bit of the update failed as I can't see any mention of Adobe Acrobat reader in the add/remove programmes(Windows Vista).

Looking at the shortcut properties it says Adobe Reader 9.4(my previous version was 9.3.4),so I am guessing it has installed,but just not quite finished.

As I have said it is working ok so should I just leave it be.

Edit..I have just done a system restore successfully and reverted back to 9.3.4 version.

I have now updated via FileHippo successfully,although the install failed the first attempt.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:53:02 PM by UncleUB »

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

If you only use Adobe Reader you may also wish to consider Foxit Reader.

Foxit is a really nice light (<7mb vs 200mb for Adobe) .pdf reader that I installed recently on my fresh install. It really is great. I now use it as my default .pdf application and since Adobe reader is one of the most hacked progs on the planet, it is safer also.

I use Foxit v3.2.1.

Good Luck

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

If you only use Adobe Reader you may also wish to consider Foxit Reader.

Foxit is a really nice light (<7mb vs 200mb for Adobe) .pdf reader that I installed recently on my fresh install. It really is great. I now use it as my default .pdf application and since Adobe reader is one of the most hacked progs on the planet, it is safer also.

I use Foxit v3.2.1.

Good Luck

I agree, Foxit is so much lighter and cleaner. Get rid of Adobe Acrobat and your system will love you for it.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:25 AM »

I used Foxit for a long time, but gave Nuance PDF reader a try & much prefer it, haven`t used Foxit for a while now..

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/pdf/pdfreader/index.htm

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »

I, too, used Foxit for a long time, but am currently using the free PDF-Xchange Viewer .........very light  and seems to do the job.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads

jaydeee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:08 AM »

Im guessing that part of the update is to uninstall the old version then reinstall the new one, that when it freeze it was removing the old version so it is missing in your control panel.

anyway I guess downloading and installing the latest version will be ok.

anything