Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting O2 move  (Read 9930 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Interesting O2 move
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51:29 AM »

Interesting reading........Phone line rental from £7.50 a month,obviously that will be basic rental with nothing else included.Would probably suit me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:21:37 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:57:27 AM »

As far as I can see, you can't have the home phone service on its own - it has to be tied to O2 broadband. And O2 Access is a much complained-about service.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:00:56 AM »

As far as I can see, you can't have the home phone service on its own - it has to be tied to O2 broadband. And O2 Access is a much complained-about service.

That's correct Eric,you have to take both BB and line rental,or just BB.

I am LLU,but as you say,not many good things said about their access package.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »

Also Be are getting ready to launch their own phone service at "similar" prices to O2.
At present it's only being marketed to existing Be Broadband customers.

Obviously with Be it's ONLY with LLU broadband whereas O2 uses both LLU (shared with Be) and the BT-based "Access" service which isn't as "well-regarded".  :'(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:28:58 AM by HPsauce »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »

Another peculiar restriction with O2 that I only discovered by reading a thread on their forum is that it is mandatory to register a mobile phone number when applying for broadband otherwise it's impossible for their system to create the O2 portal account !!

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=51125&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »

That's an interesting side effect. I had thought that you only needed to have an O2 mobile number if you wished to get the discounted broadband package.

I have also discovered that, possibly until the end of the year**, you can't get an O2 broadband service UNLESS the BT line performance database can be accessed.
E.g. if you are on a TalkTalk fully unbundled LLU service O2 can't accept your order.
I'm helping someone with this problem and we can only proceed by ordering a new BT line, waiting for it to be enabled with a confirmed phone number, and then ordering the O2 service.
We'll probably cease the existing line afterwards and they do have the luxury of two concurrent services, albeit at the cost of a second BT line installation.

** I gather from O2's sales department that they hope to remove the LLU restriction just as e.g. Zen are able to do now. I don't know of a confirmed restriction removal date yet.

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

You have to have some form O2 mobile tariff to get £5 a month off your BB.

If you have a PAYG O2 mobile then the requirement is you most top up £10 minimum every 3 months to qualify for the discount.

I have an O2 simplicity sim (£10 a month) so I pay £7.50 instead of the full £12.50 a month

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:11:40 PM by UncleUB »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »

I had thought that you only needed to have an O2 mobile number if you wished to get the discounted broadband package.

Correct but to sign up for O2 broadband any mobile phone number will do (obviously you don't get the discount) but you must declare a mobile number otherwise you cannot sign up.

I used my Vodafone number but at that time didn't appreciate that it was a mandatory requirement, I thought it was just a convenient communication method to keep you notified by text during the migration process.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/09/03/o2-uk-attacks-isp-speeds-and-reveals-new-broadband-isp-and-phone-deals.html
O2 Broadband is a case study in marketing failure, too late to the party they have achieved a pitiful penetration among their 20million plus mobile customer base despite throwing money away in cashbacks and subsidised / loss making deals.
I could never understand O2's strategy with these cashbacks as what some people used to do was threaten to leave O2 once their 12 month contract is up in order to get more deals to stay with them  ???

I don't see the point in O2 retaining customers if they are loss making !?
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »

When users contracts are up with O2 and they phone up to get an incentive for not leaving,I wonder how many would still remain with O2 if no incentive was offered,especially those on LLU.
I for one would not leave,I am very happy with O2 and even paying the normal rate of £7.50 a month represents a good deal for me.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:14:38 AM »

I've been with O2 on LLU for quite a while and quite happy with the service. Unlike when I was with BT who changed things all the time, for the worse as well.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

When users contracts are up with O2 and they phone up to get an incentive for not leaving,I wonder how many would still remain with O2 if no incentive was offered,especially those on LLU.
I for one would not leave,I am very happy with O2 and even paying the normal rate of £7.50 a month represents a good deal for me.
I had that kind of phone call when my original 12 month contract was up, I was enticed to sign up to another 12 month contract in exchange for having the first 3 months free.

I accepted as it was an offer too good to turn down  ;D

I don't expect to be offered any further deals when my new 12 month contract is up though because I've since moved my phone line to O2 and it's a condition of having the O2 home phone service that you also have the O2 broadband service !

Still I'm happy although I believe that O2 are planning some changes to the new packages but hopefully these changes won't affect us on the old packages - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/09/03/o2-uk-attacks-isp-speeds-and-reveals-new-broadband-isp-and-phone-deals.html

There's talk of caps even on the LLU packages but we will just have to wait and see what the changes actually are !
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

I've been with O2 on LLU for quite a while and quite happy with the service. Unlike when I was with BT who changed things all the time, for the worse as well.
True.

I was with BT for the last 14 years but the latest 50p line rental hike was the last straw as I saw it as BT still getting their 50p hike even after Labour's proposed broadband tax was scrapped by the coalition government.

I'm saving money with O2 on both my broadband and phone line  ;D
Mike
Pages: [1] 2