Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Syncs, Gets IP but only allows Ping PLEASE HELP  (Read 2761 times)

mikefitzgerald

• Just arrived
ADSL Syncs, Gets IP but only allows Ping PLEASE HELP
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

Hi all, I've had ADSL from PlusNet for 3 weeks now, but still cannot actually get onto the net. 

The line went live (only moved in about 2 months ago) and the ADSL got activated, ever since then the service syncs, and the router gets a WAN IP, however all I can do is DNS lookups, ping, or a traceroute.  I spoken to the ISP numerous times who just tell me its connected, they have sent BT out and he told me it looked odd that it was syncing at 15000 down and only 448 up however did not put that in his report to Plusnet.  Normally I get spoken to like I am a fool and told to plug in a network cable and that will solve all my problems.  Guess what, it doesn't.

I have set up a dynamic dns hostname which the router tries to update, sometimes it manages to get connect and updates the record (normally in the early hours of the morning) the IP address that it records (I can monitor from work) is always dead.

Whilst I don't know the finer details of the workings of ADSL I know I have set up my router correctly, I have tried all 4 that I own didn't understand what the problem could be at first) but there is no problem with anything at my end, I am in the test port, have tried numerous cables and filters etc.

Has anyone got any ideas so that maybe I can give the isp some tips as they are now telling me they want to send the BT engineer back to run the same tests, every time asking me if I have tried a second router?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL Syncs, Gets IP but only allows Ping PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

Hi Mike & welcome,

It's normally only necessary to set a user name and password in any router at least to begin with.
I suggest you do a factory reset with a paperclip on one of your modems and then just enter the minimum configuration data which is usually in your introductory e-mail.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »

I dont know if this will help at all:

Broadband Username: usernametheygaveyou@plusdsl.net
Password: Whatevertheygaveyou
DNS: 212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.50, 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10

EMAIL:
POP: mail.plus.net
SMTP: relay.plus.net
User: usernametheygaveyou
Password: Whatevertheygaveyou

Plusnet support:
connections_settings

Still no luck?

Visit the forum and ask for help, they are really great:
http://community.plus.net/forum/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:41:06 PM by BritBrat »

mikefitzgerald

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »

Yep tried both thanks guys.  Have set up many a router before, and never anything like this.

There is nothing wrong with the router config, definitely at Plusnets end.  I did manage to get one guy to acknowledge that in one of their call centre's.  He said he would pass it to his team leader who would sort it.  Then I got an update on their support portal saying they need to send the bt engineer again, can I try another router.  If they had scrolled up on the same page then they would have seen I'd already tried 4.

Pretty frustrated, I have tried lowering the MTU to next to nothing, and varying stages in between, the router has managed to update the dynamic dns this morning (at 0924) but an hour and a half later I cannot ping, or remote manage the router (both of these settings are definitely enabled)

Thanks

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »

Ask on the forum.

They may ask you for your support reference number so they can look into it.

I have just left Plusnet and although I never needed it the support forum seemed to be very good.

Give them a try.

Also bobpullen one of Plusnets support visits here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team
community.plus.net
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=834
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:19:20 PM by BritBrat »

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »

@mikefitzgerald, sorry to hear you're having problems.

You're line is continuously dropping out. We've arranged for an Openreach engineer to visit you on Monday and a replacement router should be winging its way to you soon. Hopefully the engineer will be able to establish where the problem lies.

Do let us know how you get on.
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

mikefitzgerald

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Thanks Bob,

I changed the router last night from a Netgear to a Linksys, both have worked in other locations.  Will try the new plusnet one when it comes out and hopefully the engineer will find something.

Thanks for looking into it, at least between you and "JoJo" on the Plusnet community forum something is actually happening.

Cheers

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »

Hi
can you post your your line stats . to get a full picture of your stats ,

and can you run routerstats  this will monitor your line and is very good for troubleshooting .

Regards Jeff
zen user