Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A pinch and a punch chat...  (Read 4911 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
A pinch and a punch chat...
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »

Morning all,

1st September, wow this year has sped by to here...but I'm not going to mention the "C" word... :)  A pinch and a punch for the first of the month....does anyone ever say that now or is it lost to our generation?  Strange sayings we used to have didn't we?

What is everyone up to today, anything really exciting?  :D  Nothing like that here unfortunately but lots to do that isn't, decluttering and things along those lines, oh joy, just what one needs to be doing but could easily put off lol.  It's a lot cooler here but at least it looks pleasant out which is nice, quite warm late yesterday afternoon so maybe more of the same today.

Have a good day and keep smiling whatever you do.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: A pinch and a punch chat...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »

Good Morning Chrissie and all who follow,
I must say I have never heard of that saying before, however there are many such things we used to do and say as you say. It's a lovely bright day here, very much like autumn rather than summer. Not much on the cards for me today either. I'll have to find another DIY project to do, when I have the money to spare. It could be a while though.

Have a great day whatever you may get up to.
Colin No.2
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »

Good morning all  :)

Another lovely start to the day here.

>>A pinch and a punch<<< Never heard that saying before.A pint.pinch and punch...if you pinched someone's pint then that's what you got. :D

Not much planned today apart from a bit of outdoor pottering.

Have a nice day whatever you have planned. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »

Good morning, Kitizens, and I trust all are well.  ;D

A pinch and a punch is not a usual saying around here, I must admit. I wonder what the origin is.. :hmm:

A lovely day here as well...a bit cloudier than recent days...but very acceptable.

Will also be pottering about.

Enjoy your day.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:43 AM »

I wonder if Eric's monitor arrived.  :hmm:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

Good morning all, what a lovely day it is today. :)

I've never heard the phrase 'a pinch and a punch' either, but it does exist. Apparently it's about getting rid of a witch - first you pinch the salt, then you use it to punch the witch (or something like that). ;D

>>> I wonder if Eric's monitor arrived.

:rain: :rain: :rain: :rain:

I've had several calls from the company's customer service manager, who now wants to blame the whole affair on City Link. She says that the monitor was dispatched on Monday of last week, but City Link seem to have lost it. I don't know who to believe, and I've told her that the order is cancelled and I expect to receive a full refund immediately. It's up to them to sort out things with the courier, not me. Stand by for the next thrilling episode... >:(

Enjoy your day everyone. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »

Not a very good outcome Eric.  :no:

I would constantly be in their face till I knew my card had been refunded.I would also be inclined to contact my credit card company(guessing that is the method you paid by).

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »

What a dreadful shambles.

Honestly, you would think that buying a monitor would be the simplest thing under the sun, and yet these suppliers do or can make such a mess of things.
No doubt this particular supplier will have lost their customer for ever.

I have found City Link to be a good, reliable courier........and would be inclined to believe them rather than the supplier. If you have a delivery number/code/identifier you could check for a delivery status on the CityLink webbie at http://www.city-link.co.uk/receiving-a-parcel/

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

I've got the tracking number, and the tracking information is confusing, to say the least. I agree with you that City Link are normally very reliable, and I've had a lot of goods successfully delivered by them over the years. But have a look for yourself:

http://www.city-link.co.uk/receiving-a-parcel/tracking/dmx/132984568
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »

Eric how annoying  re the non delivery and waiting for it to come all to no avail.  I hope you get your refund and aren't fobbed off like I was with Currys <spit> though I got the money back in the end....some firms!!

I was surprised peeps haven't heard " a pinch and a punch..."  I know rabbits, rabbits, rabbits is sometimes used for the 1st of the month....but I thought the "pinch and a punch for the first of the month" was quite common also the return..."a flick and a kick for being so quick" in answer....(see what I know lol)  My dad always used to say it to us....perhaps we were just a strange family  :D :D :D  Don't answer that hehe    >:D

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »

'Allo "Allo  Everyone !   :sun: :sun:  at chez nous   .....   

I too have not heard the pinch and punch phrase Chrissie  ...   mind you, as someone who has to look at either the telephone display, computer or newspaper for the date  .. ::) I'm always too late to say White Rabbits   ;D

Enjoy the outdoors all  ....     Eric,   :(  oh dear   ... I think  perhaps City Link might not appreciate being besmirched by your supplier.  If an amount of over £100  is paid for by a credit card I understood that the CC Company would do the reimbursement very quickly.  We once had cause to do a similar thing and the matter was resolved almost immediately.   It's no consolation for the hassle though  >:(

I went to visit  a near neighbour yesterday afternoon and she asked me if I'd like to have a walk with her to her son's house ....   I've been several time before but always by car   ....  it was only when I arrived back home later in the day that I realised it was about  a 12 km round trip  !   quite hilly !   very hot  !  ( I did enjoy it , honestly  ;D )   I was rather tired for the rest of the evening  ....    but fizzing like a good Champagne this morning  :congrats:

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »

Eric << looking at the tracking info it indeed looks like the courier could be at fault. If that record is correct you should receive the monitor today. Maybe your cancellation has worked. What do you do if the monitor arrives?

Glad you had a nice little ramble Scottiesmum  :-X

I wouldn't call you a strange lot Chrissie, honest.  :-\  ;D
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »

I was surprised peeps haven't heard " a pinch and a punch..."  I know rabbits, rabbits, rabbits is sometimes used for the 1st of the month....but I thought the "pinch and a punch for the first of the month" was quite common also the return..."a flick and a kick for being so quick" in

We always say 'white rabbits' up here,but we are definitely a strange lot.  :lol:

I remember when I worked in London,the architect who we worked for always called us,'you chaps from the north'

It always made me laugh,he must have imagined us all charging down the M1 faces painted,wielding axes(or hammers in our case) :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »

Have you still got that bucket of woad in the shed, Phil? ;D
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »