Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Facebook abuse reporting  (Read 9810 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Facebook abuse reporting
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:14 AM »

I hope the assembled experience here can help.

My son and I are the target of salacious, libellous and malicious claims by a Facebook user.  These are all false.  Friends have flagged the abusive content to Facebook without any action being taken, but since neither my son nor I are Facebook users, we cannot find a way to request take down of the material.

So far, we have used info@facebook.com (no longer used), abuse@facebook.com (also no longer used).

Do any of you have any other way of approaching Facebook and successfully having material taken down?  Naturally, we have issued an injunction on the perpetrator, but the entries still remain there for all the world to see.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Facebook abuse reporting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »

I don't know whether this is any use Colin

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=1020

As you aren't Facebook members and the content is that bad,then perhaps a call to the police might be a way forward.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:28:46 AM by UncleUB »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »

Thanks Unky - I followed all of the links on that page and similar, but they result in a circular loop, taking the abused back to the beginning.  This seems to be par for the course for Facebook.  The local police and county HQ are having the same run around unfortunately.  I hoped that someone reading this may have found a successful route through.  I will PM you with a little more info Unky.

Colin

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »

Goodness Colin,  the description  you give of the type of claims is  dreadful.    I do hope you can soon get some action taken.   The police, as suggested by Unc, would be my only response.   not having any experience of Facebook, or similar, at all .     :(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »

Not sure about the police. I would have thought that alleged libel or defamation would be a civil matter.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »

TD - the perpetrator is already involved in a very serious police matter - we shopped them with indisputable evidence.  The police are therefore interested in whatever they say, wish to put a stop to it, but are finding it just as frustrating as we are.

My own civil proceedings were designed to stop them putting up further abusive comment and remove the current content from their Facebook wall.

Heyho - life is certainly exciting - maybe Maisie will just eat them for breakfast?   :no:  More likely lick them severely  :lol:

Thanks for your support and suggestions - all much appreciated - from "the Kitz-bunch".

Colin

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

Maybe you need to tell us the facebook owners name so we can report him through the facebook system for you.

Try:
abuse@facebook.com

But friend said don't hold your breath.

EDIT:

Darn you already tried that one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:04:55 PM by BritBrat »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:08:14 AM »

Thanks Britbrat - both routes already tried with no result so far.   :no:  BTW - she not he.

Colin

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »

SUCCESS!!! :clap: :clap2: :dance: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Facebook finally got the message and took down the offending messages  :police:.  PLUS, they are now constantly monitoring the account.  I was given an email address to use by a friend ..... and it worked.  Naturally, I won't publish the email address openly on here, but if you or anyone you know needs it in the future, then PM me.  Note, I will only give it to the close circle of kitizens I have come to trust through our banter.

Colin

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »

Very good result, camallison, I'm so pleased to see that things have been resolved in your favour. Well done.  :thumbs:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »

Excellent result Colin  :clap2:

Hopefully now your son and grandchildren can move on and get some stability back in their lives. :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »

Not until the conviction goes through for a one-person crime wave unky!  It is far bigger than you can imagine.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »

Not until the conviction goes through for a one-person crime wave unky!  It is far bigger than you can imagine.

Colin

Oh dear,well hopefully this is the first step in the right direction  :fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »

Colin, I'm delighted to hear that at least you've got some action from Facebook. But what a shame that it had to happen in the first place. There are some truly nasty people around.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »

Great news, I guess they must get a lot of this and with a huge user base actions will be slow.

My guess is cyber abuse will become against the law one day.
Pages: [1] 2