Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Major BT outage in Scotland  (Read 24381 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Major BT outage in Scotland
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »

I'm with PN in Hampshire and have had no problems so far. I suggested earlier that these problems could be due to a widescale deployment of a software/firmware update possibly by BT to its exchange equipment. I think this would still be a viable explanation. What do others think?
Tony

I agree it's an interesting idea Tony, but it's hard to see why that should only affect one ISP, unless it's in line with Walter's thinking that maybe BT-owned ISPs use different authentication mechanism.   But when the story initially broke, it didn't seem to be ISP-specific, it was just a general outage affecting Scotland and North of England.  

Or maybe other ISPs are affected too, and just not being so open about it?   But in that case, how come there's not been furious activity on the forums?  And, for example, Demon actually answered the phone on the first ring last week, which is a first - they clearly weren't that busy.

I do hope PN, or other affected ISPs, will explain what happened in more detail, regardless of whose fault it was, as I'm obviously not the only one who's curious to know.    :-\

- 7LM

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »

As far as i am aware there is all different methods used for authentication so not all SP use the same method. VPI and VCI could be different like 02's which enable's a different way of authentication so there method isn't used by username and password authentication so there is the chance this is the reasons why some SP's where not included in the MSO. I am sure if i am wrong someone will correct me lol

Regards
Gary

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »

Service: ADSL Dial
Posted: Mon, Nov 08 2010 at 13:47:35
Subject: Broadband connectivity issues (64349) - RESOLVED

This is an update to Saturday's announcement about broadband connectivity problems affecting users in Scotland, Ireland and parts of England.

Our suppliers have confirmed that this particular outage was cleared during the early hours of Sunday morning.

Call volumes to our support team however would suggest that there are still a number of localised/residual problems that may be affecting connectivity for some customers.

If you are still having problems then we suggest you check for outages in your area by checking the information available on our Usertools Site:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Kind regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »

Here's the latest morsel:-

Service: ADSL Dial
Posted: Tue, Nov 09 2010 at 16:59:48
Subject: Planned BT Network Maintenance (Edinburgh Node) - Wednesday 10th November Midnight-6.00am

When's this work happening?
Early tomorrow morning, 10th November.

What does it affect?
Broadband connectivity.

How long will it take?
Up to six hours.

What does the work involve?
There have been a number of service failures at a node in Edinburgh recently that have affected a significant number of our broadband customers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of the North of England. BT and their equipment vendor plan to undertake further work to this node early tomorrow morning. The work is intended to increase load management capability on the node and mitigate any future issues.

Am I likely to notice the work?
We've been advised that the work will have no impact on customers. In the event that something unexpected happens large areas of the UK could suffer a loss of broadband connectivity.

Is there anything else I need to know?
Any customers having problems connecting once the maintenance is complete are advised to switch off their broadband equipment for 30 minutes before powering it back up and attempting to reconnect.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »

Am I likely to notice the work?
We've been advised that the work will have no impact on customers. In the event that something unexpected happens large areas of the UK could suffer a loss of broadband connectivity.

:-X
Pages: 1 2 [3]