Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possible Street Light Noise Dropping connection.  (Read 7332 times)

AWB70

Re: Possible Street Light Noise Dropping connection.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »

You could be VERY naughty and pull the fuse out of your light to see how that cures the problem .

I might just do that, I was weighing up the front before too see how it comes but I was starting to look a bit shifty  ;D

I have just done another graph when I got in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I made sure nothing was on except my fish tank pumps which are 24/7 and never show up on day time graphs. These results don't look as bad and the street lights came on at 8.26pm. They are I suppose more acceptable I'm not sure what is reasonable but I see people on this board with decent equipment who seem to be happy if they stay above minus figures and don't get disconnected.

The majority of the drop in SNR seems to come from the street lights though, my usual being 11db which bobs up and down between 10 and 7db once they're on and my normal activity which as you can see after 21.00 pm I started putting TV, microwave running a bath etc still only added a further drop of 1db to what was already happening. Is this acceptable?

I think I have to rule out the Linksys WAG354G from the equation as it is prob 7/8 years old and looking how technology moves on is probably going to be the least efficient at dealing with noise of any kind. There as never been a firmware update out for it in the time I had it which makes me suspect that it was either (A) Already been out a while when I got it new or (B) Linksys got it right on the money the first time round and didn't need to do anything with the firmware. Most likely to be A  ;D

I'm going to stick with the DG834G that's running at the moment as it as kept connection for nearly 60 hrs now without any drops and since it's held the 4128kbps my ip profile has been raised to 3500kbps from 3000. It's not as high as the 4500kbps I used to get but it's a step in the right direction. It also seems better at dealing with the noise.

The only annoyance I have with it is it was a de-branded Sky one I think a Netgear 9*** something which is a DG834G with a different case on. I was also told that it was version 3 not sure if that's right though. I unlocked it using a tip in a sky board and put the latest 4.01.40 firmware on from Netgear. The modem works fine but the Light with the @ sign on stays on amber. If anyone knows how to cure this please let me know I have bricked a BT one once before so don't want to mess too much without knowing. :-[

Comments appreciated

AWB70

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:26 PM »

Quick Update, The netgear as well as it was going dropped connection at some point 24hrs ago without me realising lowering my ip profile again. :(

I've been having another investigation with the MW radio, I have some wall plug adapters for hardwiring my ps3 in the dining room. The first is right next to the router and the other is about 10 feet away but tbh badly positioned as it's right next to a telephone socket now disconnected and behind my fish tank. If there ever was a place for noise that would be it.
Checking with the radio I get no interference around the router, if I put the aerial close enough to the router I get a low frequency hum not white noise a distinct noise. Now when I put it in the dining room and point at the ethernet home plug adapter I get an higher pitch totally different noise.
I would expect to get something from there as adsl will be there but should the noise of the adsl signal sound the same over the radio. Could any noise be making a greater amplification by using my 240v system to run my adsl through.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:23 PM »

Hi AWB,

Home plugs can go faulty and become a major noise source. We had one such incident in a long line area which knocked out about 20 ADSL lines.
However all electrical devices emit some noise so IMHO it's unwise to try to diagnose problems from very close or contacting situations.
By far the best way of eliminating home plugs will be to substitute a length of Cat 5e Ethernet cable for say 48 hours.

Kind regards,
Walter

AWB70

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »

Much appreciated Walter, I have already disconnected and unplugged them both and putting the PS3 on wireless for a few days. The odd thing is after removing them that my SNR DB went up to higher than it's ever been.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Normally I would be at 12db all day then fluctuating between 7/11db for the rest of the everybody home with lights on period. Now since taking them out my SNR as rose to 14 nad has not been lower than 9db.

Is that a good sign? Another oddity is even though my profile was lowered to 3000kbps the other day I'm now getting throughout of 3550kbps on the BT speed test which is quickest I've had in a long time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:23:19 PM by AWB70 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »

Hi AWB70,

I suspect that your "SNR" is actually your signal to noise MARGIN indicating that you have more freeboard above the waves using a boat example.

I expect that it is impossible to have a BT speed test result showing a speed above the IP Profile (AKA bRAS) so perhaps you overlooked the fact that BT had increased the IP Profile?

Kind regards,
Walter

AWB70

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

Right, does that mean that removing them has improved the situation? I have never known my SNR to rise while I've been trying switching things on/off looking for the REIN. Only when the home plugs came out.
I have been doing a little research on them and apparently they do transmit low frequency waves turning you 240v system basically into an antenna. You will already know this  :) I'm wondering if maybe having these in has been causing electrical noise spikes to be amplified with having the 240 and adsl signal using the same wiring  :-\

That socket of my house is probably the worst in the world when it comes to potential for noise. There is one double which carries an aquarium and the TV/SKY/Ps3 and the wall plug adapter is in on the other on it's own. I'll just leave it out for now as it's one less thing to think about.

Btw I was checking to see what my IP profile was on the BT Speedtest site which is where I got the 3552kbps throughput from and was still on 3000kbps profile.  ???

I'm as amazed as you but to be honest nothing seems to make sense any more  ;D I have tried everything I can think of, I've looked into the possibility of different noise causing the disconnections which I can't pin down because three different routers give different results and I'm still waiting to see how a fourth is coming on ebay.

I'm tempted to change providers and get on an LLU provider in my exchange, this line profiling is a right PITA. My download speeds are 1meg down on what I was used to for the last 6month and all I get out of BT and the ISP is that's all I should get which obviously isn't the case.
Pages: 1 [2]