Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834GT Web Interface stopped working!  (Read 5123 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
DG834GT Web Interface stopped working!
« on: August 27, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »

I have been running an ex-Sky DG834GT on DGTeam for a long time but today had an unusual glitch I cannot seem to fathom.

As happens sometimes I had a bad evening where my ADSL dropped and every time it reconnected it would almost immediately drop again.  This is nothing new, it rarely happens but as Transco are messing with the gas main in various parts of the city it has caused some issues.

Last time when they were doing my street right past the BT junction box I had to alter my downstream target SNR to keep the connection up and then was able to switch it back once they had finished.  It had seemed it was doing the same today except I couldn't alter the SNR as something odd has happened, the web interface has stopped working.

In the end I resorted to using DMT Tool to tweak the SNR via Telnet.  However I am wondering how to get the web interface back as I mostly use Linux and DMT Tool is not stable using WINE, not to mention those settings are not saved like the web interface ones are.  Its odd as while I did turn telnet off and back on a few months back as it had crashed (I have my own PHP script polling the router via telnet for line stats every 4 seconds), I have never touched the web interface tick box as I absolutely do need it.  However perhaps it has glitched and I cannot for the life of me find a description of how to turn the web interface back on via Telnet which must be possible, or else why have the option to turn it off?

I do not want to do a factory reset if I can help it as I do not think I have a recent backup of the configuration and I have a few things configured in port forwarding with static IPs.  Any suggestions?

I believe I am running DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026 and I noticed mention in other threads of problems on 1018 but no mention of exactly what those problems are.  I tried to get into the DGTeam forum but cannot remember my login details.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:48:57 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DG834GT Web Interface stopped working!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »

I would suggest that the first thing to try if you haven't already is a cold reboot - switch off the router, wait a minute, then switch it on again. If that doesn't fix it then reload the firmware using nftp, which is described on the "How to upgrade the firmware" page on the DGTeam site. It might be better to use the 023o version of the firmware, not 026, because 026 is a bit experimental. Doing this should preserve your configuration.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »

Are you running any tools like routerstats?

If I have that running on another computer I can't access the router due to another admin is already loged in.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

That's a good point BB.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »

Even if you try to power - reset the modem without shutting down or disconnecting such a computer it will often not restart properly.

Kind regards,
Walter

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the all the suggestions, I only just gotten around to checking back on this thread.

I already tried power cycling several times and even tried swapping the PSU with my Netgear Gigabit switch which uses an identical PSU, in case it was a voltage problem.   Nothing is configured to connect to the router via HTTP as I have my own monitoring script that connects via telnet to log stats.  Also if I recall correctly from playing with such a monitoring tool ages ago, if you do have something logged in via web it stills prompts for the connection but refuses to log you in with an "administrator already logged in" error.  As it stands, it just does not respond to port 80 so its either firewalled or the web server is not running.

I even have the router configured to send syslog to my Linux box and nothing obvious jumped out at me.  But then my old old D-Link router once wiped its firmware after a power cycle for no apparent reason, so I know these weird glitches do happen sometimes.

Its just so odd that it only seems to affect the web server, everything else is still working perfectly.  That's why I was hoping someone was going to say "oh just telnet in and type 'config -web enable'" or something.  Seeing as you can actually choose to disable the web interface there MUST be a way to turn it back on again from telnet, but I guess nobody bothers to turn off the web interface so nobody knows how to turn it back on.  I just always prefer to know how to fix something rather than reflashing and never knowing what went wrong, so you can see why I have a lot of sleepless nights  ???.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:55 AM »

So I finally got the time when my mum was not using the web to flash DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv023o.img using nftp.

First time it hung half way through verifying which scared the hell outta me, but I just hit ctrl+c then ran the same nftp command again which flashed successfully.

When it booted back up I was not at all surprised to find that the web interface still was disabled, doh.  So I took the time to do some digging this time and as I suspected it must be an issue with the configuration as mini_httpd was NOT running.

I did a little more digging to see how the router boots and discovered how to temporarily turn the web interface back on.  Simply telnet in and run "/usr/sbin/rc httpd start".  

However I think there is still something wrong with my router or the 1018 firmware, because most of the Advanced pages come up blank as does the Access Mode page where I would turn the web interface back on permanently.  :(

I guess the next thing is to try restoring factory settings.  Fortunately the Backup page IS working so I have at least been able to do a backup of the current configuration so have nothing to lose now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:17:35 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »

Many of us have tried the 1018 firmware and found it somewhat buggy and reversed back to 12 or 14.

I would not restore settings from one version to another but just put it all back in manually.

I have now started to save backups by versions and store them with the version firmware.

If I was you this is what I would do.

1. Factory reset what you have now.
2. Reflash with official netgear firmware.
3. Do another factory reset.
4. Set up the Netgear firmware and test everything is OK for a few days.
5. Save the settings and label it netgear firmware *****.
6. Do a factory reset.
7. Reflash with DGteam firmware 12 or 14.
8. Do a factory reset.
9. Put all settings back manually.
10. Save the settings backup labeled DGteam 12 or 14.

And make sure you use the Netgear Router Recovery Utility and not from the interface.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:16:26 AM by BritBrat »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »

Well I was having trouble with my ADSL last night so I restored factory settings so I could tinker with the SNR margin.

The router itself seems fine on 1018 now although its really odd as I looked at the backup file and there is NO difference between the backup I did on screwed up 1018 vs the backup of the freshly configured 1018.  Obviously the settings at fault are not saved as part of the backup which is a point actually, as I do not see any reference to SPI Firewall in the backup file. That is actually quite annoying seeing as I have to tweak the UDP Flood settings or it breaks some games on Xbox Live, its the main reason I did not want to have to resort to factory reset.

Ah well, just found I might be able to get Fibre to the Cabinet in March so I guess the old Netgear will get retired then.  I wonder what junk they use on FTTC?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »

That is actually quite annoying seeing as I have to tweak the UDP Flood settings or it breaks some games on Xbox Live, its the main reason I did not want to have to resort to factory reset.

Ah well, just found I might be able to get Fibre to the Cabinet in March so I guess the old Netgear will get retired then.  I wonder what junk they use on FTTC?

Could you visit this thread and explain what that is about.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7978.msg168700.html

Thanks