Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Portable Hard Drive.  (Read 3971 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Portable Hard Drive.
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »

With my new USB Portable Hard Drive working under Linux is it best to have the permissions as 'root' ?
so it can be plugged in any PC, or am I doing things wrong ?.
I used 'GParted' to set 'dos' partitions and formatted it to 'RFS'
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: Portable Hard Drive.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »

What I want from this usb HD is to be able to plug it in any PC for any user setting and be able to copy to and fro.

I'm finding that when it's in one PC on say user 1 , copy to it, then move it to another PC and the file permissions are of user 2 or 3 or some odd settings . >:D

Having not used one of these before, am I doing it wrong .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »

Sorry I didn't respond before. I'd never heard of RFS until you mentioned it here. I've been reading a bit about it, and I have the feeling that it's not what you want for this job, but I could easily be wrong. If I understand you correctly, you want to transfer files between computers, preserving their file ownership and permissions in doing so? If that's the case, then I think ext3 would be the appropriate file system.

If on the other hand you want all users to have equal access to every file, then FAT32/VFAT would do the job.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »

Sorry I didn't respond before. I'd never heard of RFS until you mentioned it here. I've been reading a bit about it, and I have the feeling that it's not what you want for this job, but I could easily be wrong. If I understand you correctly, you want to transfer files between computers, preserving their file ownership and permissions in doing so? If that's the case, then I think ext3 would be the appropriate file system.

If on the other hand you want all users to have equal access to every file, then FAT32/VFAT would do the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS
Looking at that article I may move back to ext3 because the lack of support. :'(
Re "If on the other hand you want all users to have equal access to every file, then FAT32/VFAT would do the job."  Of cause like my usb memory stick. ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »

Ah, sorry, I was confused. RFS is Remote File System, and that's what my comments applied to. ReiserFS is actually a good system, particularly when you have lots of small files, but as you say, it's lost support after its originator was convicted of murdering his wife. :o

Ext3 should do the job.
  Eric