Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WOT - Surf Canyon  (Read 4743 times)

Zoe

• Reg Member
WOT - Surf Canyon
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »

Hi  :)

Mostly a Firefox user, as I like to have the full functionality that WOT provides me in Firefox.

Do like to use Opera too!  
But Opera doesn't really support WOT like Firefox does  :no:

However!
There are a few little WOT things that can help when using and searching with Opera  8)

WOT - Surf Canyon: http://wot.surfcanyon.com/ ( Search Engine )

WOT - Bookmarklet ... See Here: http://www.mywot.com/en/blog/wot-bookmarklet-for-safari-and-opera

Safe Surfing ;)

Zoe
Talk Talk - Faster Fibre: 38/10
Estimated Download Speed 39Mbps to 40Mbps.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed 35Mbps
Actual Sync Speed 31Mbps Down & 8Mbps Up
Modem/Router: Netgear D6400

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: WOT - Surf Canyon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

I would not put too much reliance on WOT and other similar devices as a security tool.
Information, yes.....but security..no.

These sites are generally out of date and playing catch-up...and are reliant to an extent on user imput.

Treat the results with caution.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »

That's right, and the other side of the coin is that they can give false positives - sites which are 'untrusted' because people have reported them in error or even out of malice. A pinch of salt is certainly needed.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »

I have WOT installed and McAfee Site Advisor.When I do a Google search its amazing how many times one will show a site green and the other red.

As pointed out above its just a guideline,but not totally accurate. 

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:13:53 AM »

I stooped using WOT when it caused me problems with one of my Image Hosts   ....after years of using Village Photos, WOT suddenly started showing a red alert and saying that the site was unsafe ! This alarmed me enough to contact Village Photos and ask them why I should suddenly be receiving this.  They informed me that they had had trouble with WOT for a long time because they (Village Photos) had withdrawn from WOT's service and were not longer paying them a fee  !!    I kept Village Photos and got rid of WOT  :'(

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

Hi,
Somewhat off-topic, but if you're interested in security in general you'll find some fascinating reading here: http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/

I've been to lectures by a couple of these guys at Cambridge; one on scams and one entitled "Chip and PIN is broken".

Cheers,
Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »

They informed me that they had had trouble with WOT for a long time because they (Village Photos) had withdrawn from WOT's service and were not longer paying them a fee  !!

This is where these self-appointed policing sites can go horribly wrong. If they really are demanding money in return for a good listing then that looks like simple extortion to me. As I mentioned somewhere else not long ago, Zen had a similar problem with Phorm, an email policing organisation. The Zen email servers were blacklisted by Phorm because one Zen customer had been doing something a bit dodgy, and Phorm demanded payment from Zen to get the blacklisting removed (and with no guarantee that it wouldn't be reapplied later). Quite rightly, Zen refused to pay.
  Eric

anything