Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do they do that?  (Read 2901 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
How do they do that?
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »

I notice in my yahoo spam folder I actually get spam sent through with it being "from" my actual account name.  How do they do that?  Everything is exactly the same, no added dots or anything else, it's exactly the same.  Someone mentioned it to me before about them having the same thing happen (not sure in yahoo though) with their email address in the "from" section but it's spam.  Btw I never open them that's for sure.

I know they are getting more clever at fooling peeps but if they can't have my actual account name etc....are they actually using MY account to send....nah don't suppose so are they?

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: How do they do that?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »

Someone somewhere may have got hold of your email account details..........such a contact of yours with your address in their address book but on an infected machine...and be sending out spoof/spam mails in your name.
Or your account may have been hacked/infiltrated by a spam-bot.

The yahoo spam filters may recognise such as being spam when it reads the miscreant IP address if it is a known spam source, and then directs it into your spam box.

If either of these is the case there is not much you can do other than change your Yahoo account details, which is something that I would give serious consideration to.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

Yahoo accounts do seem prone to getting hacked into.I would do as TD recommends and change your password(make sure it is a strong one)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »

I have loads and not had one hacked in ages as I now have a very strong password that is 18 digits in length and not in any dictionary/database.

I used to know people that hacked them and how they did it.

What they are looking for is rare names like having capital letters as you can't make them any more, but someone told me he can a week or so ago but not how.  I have some rares I made myself over 10 years ago.

If your name is a plain old bog standard one they most likely would just move on to next in list and do nothing to the account.

Having said that Yahoo have tightened up security now and asks you to enter key words and verify Email.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:44:32 PM by BritBrat »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:28:30 AM »

Thanks, TD, Uncy and BB, I've now changed my password in that account and hope that makes a difference.  Bluddy people who hack et al  >:( couldn't they be doing more beneficial things than "hacking people off"  :(  Guess it's not so much fun if they're not annoying people and the system.

I too have lots of yahoo accts but this particular one is the only one (so far) to have this happen to....we'll see how it goes.  Didn't even think that it could be done from infected machine etc etc....but there you go one lives and learns especially on tinternet.

Thank you for all your help, as usual... Kitizens to the rescue, it's good to know there's knowledgeable peeps here to help out, I really appreciate it.

Chrissie

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »

Good for you, chrissie.

Don't be surprised if the same type of mail continues to arrive for a litle while.....if they have your addy, they have it and may continue to use it until it is finally blocked.

anything