Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Parted Magic -- Free Partitioning Tool and More.  (Read 4120 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Parted Magic -- Free Partitioning Tool and More.
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »

I found this very useful set of free tools on this Live CD,
See   
 http://partedmagic.com/
For free download.

This is what they say:-

About Parted Magic

The Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful programs (e.g. Clonezilla, Partimage, TestDisk, Truecrypt, G4L, SuperGrubDisk, ddrescue, etc...) and an excellent set of documentation to benefit the user. An extensive collection of file system tools are also included, as Parted Magic supports the following: ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs.

Parted Magic requires at least a i586 processor and 256MB of RAM to operate or 128MB in "Live" mode.

Features

* Format internal and external hard drives.
    * Move, copy, create, delete, expand & shrink hard drive partitions.
    * Clone your hard drive, to create a full backup.
    * Test hard drives for impending failure.
    * Test memory for bad sectors.
    * Benchmark your computer for a performance rating.
    * Securely erase your entire hard drive, wiping it clean from all data.
    * Gives access to non-booting systems allowing you to rescue important data.
    * Runs from the CD, no install required.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Parted Magic -- Free Partitioning Tool and More.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:56 AM »

An alternative which does much the same is GParted Live. The core of both systems is GParted, which is an easy-to-use GUI disk partitioning program, and they both have a number of other useful tools.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »

Ok thanks, the above one you can run as a live CD and you can use it like a operating system with internet access web browsers etc.  ;) and only 45Mb download  :o.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »

They're both complete bootable operating systems, but their features differ somewhat. I find it handy to keep a copy of both.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

I will have a look at that tonight. ;)

anything