Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: outlook express  (Read 6391 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
outlook express
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »

Can you help me with a problem please ??

XP Sp2.

Is there a limit to the number of addresses that I can keep in my "blocked senders" list in Outlook Express?

Every time I go beyond 25 addresses, the thing empties itself, disappears and I have to do a tweak in regedit to get it back and working, then I have to repopulate it again   :(

Not a serious problem in itself, just a pain in the b**t

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: outlook express
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »

I'm not sure tbh what the maximum is.

But something worth considering is using mailwasher.  I have approx 100 in my blacklist and its still going..  I also have well over a 100 filters so there doesnt seem to be any limits on the no of rules/blacklists/safe lists.

Another advantage of mailwasher is it will delete spam direct from the server so you dont even need to download spam mails.
http://www.mailwasher.net/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:34:42 AM »

Hi Tuftedduck,

If memory serves there is a limit but it's in the thousands - I believe OE should create extra registry branches (001,002 etc) as more entries are added.

It sounds suspiciously like either the registry is corrupted, or the procedure which creates new registry entries is.

I would suggest first creating a System restore point, or at least backing up your OE data and then trying the following;

Start >> Run >> "%PROGRAMFILES%\Outloo~1\msimn.exe" /reg

Check to see if 26 entries can be created, then (provided you have a Windows CD/i386 files available) try;

Start >> Run >> sfc /scannow

Good Luck
Havelock

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »

Thank you, kitz and havelock, for your time and trouble in replying and I apologise for the time it has taken me to get back.

I will try both your "fixes" and see what happens.

There is a twist in the tail, however, as I have today noticed that although I lost the blocked senders list, ( or so it appeared ), senders originally in the now empty list are still being correctly despatched to the deleted box.
So the names don't appear but they are being handled correctly................very odd.

I'm baffled, but that is nothing new....... :'(

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:53:57 PM »

Can you help me with a problem please ??

XP Sp2.

Is there a limit to the number of addresses that I can keep in my "blocked senders" list in Outlook Express?

Every time I go beyond 25 addresses, the thing empties itself, disappears and I have to do a tweak in regedit to get it back and working, then I have to repopulate it again   :(

Not a serious problem in itself, just a pain in the b**t

While my OE is still on my XP system, I have been using Thunderbird and also Firefox for ages with no problems .
I feel its a lot safer to use none MS email/web browsers.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »

Thanks, tickmike, for your imput.

I had Firefox for a long time, then had a lot of problems with it not letting me type forum posts such as this one......so out it went and I have been using Opera now for about a year with no probs. at all.
So, a bit reluctant to have any Mozilla software now...........will live with the mystery of the disappearing blocked senders list..........I don't get spam and what was in the list were merely newsletters and the like from various webbies that I don't wish to read but am too lazy to go and cancel.

Thank you.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »

Oh no, not another Opera freak... you and Kitz will get on well hehe :P
Chris

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 12:50:19 PM »

Yup. Opera freak............thats why I call mine "Turandot"  ;)

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »

and none shall sleep  !!!!!! :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 01:12:54 PM »

For sure, none shall sleep in this house for the next few days, three grandchildren of ages 5,3 years and the wee one at three months (plus their dog) have desended on me.  :(

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaaw   you'll love it  ...think of the rest you can have when they've all gone  :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »

As for me, I just love kids, but just like my favourite lady, one Romaany Jane Wyatt (or Poppit Price) I'm not sure that I could eat a whole one.

What any of this has got to do with Outlook Express I'm not really sure, but Hey what ya gonna do ?
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »

Hi, toulouse.
The connection is, of course, that I keep putting the parents of these wee ones into my blocked senders list, but.............they keep sending them round..... :'(

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »

Lo all, i have not seen such a problem with outlook express myself.

I dont use it anymore, i have full outlook which came with my PDA.

I do very much like thunderbird but am reluctant to switch due to the [apparent] absence of easy import and export functionality for backing up and importing e-mail from files. Something which is equally lacking in OE, in addition to it not having improved much in years.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:03:39 AM »

A quick FYI,

Backing up your messages in thunderbird can be done in 2 ways,

1st there is a proggy recommended by (but not developed by) Mozilla called MozBackup - Free and extremely simple to use.
or
2nd Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<WINDOWS USERNAME>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles and take a copy of the folder - AFAIK the messages are stored in mbox format files and should be able to be imported into pretty much any compatible e-mail reader. Or you can open 'em in a text editor as they're just plain text format.

Rgds

Havelock