News:

Author Topic: Ark  (Read 6101 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Ark
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

Anyone used 'Ark'.
I'm trying to use it to copy PCLinuxOS from a live CD to a usb memory stick. ???
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Ark
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:15 AM »

I use it occasionally.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »

Occasionally I've found myself using it when it's appeared as the default handler for an archive which I've clicked on, but I've never liked its interface, which seems rather cumbersome and awkward (purely my opinion of course). I prefer to use tar or bzip/gzip.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:14 AM »

Are you wanting to use the memory stick to run the PCLinuxOS from?
Maybe if you could give us an insight into your intentions we may be able to advise better.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:12 PM »

Are you wanting to use the memory stick to run the PCLinuxOS from?
Maybe if you could give us an insight into your intentions we may be able to advise better.
Yes it's something I could not do with my first memory stick of 256Mb that I've had for years !.
I gave up using Ark, In 'Root' with 'gparted' I formatted it with ReiserFS and made it 'bootable'
Then using two open 'Dolphin' pages (one for the stick and the other for Live CD), I dragged the files across.
Some how got to install 'Grub' on it next  :'( because it will not boot.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:45:42 AM »

Well there are a couple of choices to do what you want. You could install grub, but you may find you have missed some files or unless you intend to use it on one PC all the time it will not be configured for any other machine.

Choice 1.
              Clone the One CD onto the memory stick. Then it will depend if the PC will boot from a memory stick/flash drive.
Choice 2.
               Copy the PCLinuxOS ISO as is and use it in the same way a you would the CD.

Both choices are very similar and all the necessary files are already compressed/archived as we call it. Of course the pc will need to be able to boot from a flash drive, although there is a way round that if required.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:23 PM »

Well there are a couple of choices to do what you want. You could install grub, but you may find you have missed some files or unless you intend to use it on one PC all the time it will not be configured for any other machine.

Choice 1.
              Clone the One CD onto the memory stick. Then it will depend if the PC will boot from a memory stick/flash drive.
Choice 2.
               Copy the PCLinuxOS ISO as is and use it in the same way a you would the CD.

Both choices are very similar and all the necessary files are already compressed/archived as we call it. Of course the pc will need to be able to boot from a flash drive, although there is a way round that if required.

I could not get my first method to boot  :'( with grub installed.
Second try , I used 'PartedMagic' (See my other Post about that free software) to re-format the memory tick, again with RFS and bootable, then with the tools on the above disk copied the Live CD files to the stick.
Set the bios of a test machine and tried to boot from the stick, it gave error 'Cannot find boot record etc.'
How do I find out what boot record is on the live CD so I can copy it to the memory stick ?.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »

If you still have, or wish to download the ISO for the one cd all you should need to do is copy that ISO as an ISO to the stick and the stick should boot up just like a CD. Don't copy the files as files because that won't work. You can do it by configuring grub but it gets rather messy.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »

If you still have, or wish to download the ISO for the one cd all you should need to do is copy that ISO as an ISO to the stick and the stick should boot up just like a CD. Don't copy the files as files because that won't work. You can do it by configuring grub but it gets rather messy.

So is that were I'm going wrong, Are you saying it's the Iso you download before you burn it to a disk I want  and not just copy the files from a live CD to the stick.?
I would like it to work on any machine not just one.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »

Yes you've got the idea. It will behave just like the CD if you do that. Best of luck.

anything